TMC Transportation, Inc. - Des Moines, Ia.

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by TurboTrucker, Apr 23, 2006.

1. dstockwell

dstockwell Light Load Member

Oct 11, 2006
    Georgia
    Are you asking how to post a new thread, or do you want to add to this. You can go to the appropriate area and make a new thread. Just confused on your ???

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hrdlife

Hrdlife Bobtail Member

Dec 13, 2006
    yes i was confused, got it figured out now. This site is really packed full of information. my thanks to yourself and all who contribute.

In CHRIST

4. geargrinder

geargrinder Medium Load Member

Nov 23, 2006
    More than likely waiting.
    The recruiter from TMC that came to our school was a psychotic bimbo - she was so annoying that I never even applied to TMC. The money sounded good, the equipment looked first rate, but for me, flat bedding is too much work.

Regarding logs. I have accepted that some "tweaking" is going to be necessary.

Regarding hours. Four hours of sleep will eventually break the body and something bad will happen. Clearly something was out of whack with your trainer. The physical demands of a flat bedder, and the rigors of driving pretty much preclude running 20 hour days. Heck an NFL Head Coach gets more sleep than that!

Good luck!

5. potemza

potemza Bobtail Member

Dec 16, 2006
    I just got back from Columbia Sc from TMC orientation. On Tues they told us if we are caught with falsified logs we would be fired on the spot. The next day are instructor was telling us how to falsify logs to make money. Needless to say this a long with other issues I found out in orientation led me to decide to leave during the first week.

6. cdr

cdr Light Load Member

Jan 1, 2007
    west va.
    i noticed that this post was in april '06. does anyone know anything different about tmc? recruiters have been talking to me but their school is very expensive....6500 dollars. somebody help!

7. dstockwell

Oct 11, 2006
    Georgia
    Sorry it was Maverick that bought out Schneider's flat bed division.

8. cdr

cdr Light Load Member

Jan 1, 2007
    west va.
    i have heard that they have become not very good to work for. do you know anything? they want to send me to school and my situation is most desperate, but i don't need any more mistakes. any advice is appreciated. b.t.w., thanks for reply dstockwell.

9. dstockwell

Oct 11, 2006
    Georgia
    I have not even started school yet, going to Comm College. TMC was on my list until I saw there new numbers. Now I am not sure how much of a decision you can make soley based on the ISS-2 numbers, but I would much rather have a company with a number alot lower than 91.

10. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    91 is terrible. Basically what that translates to is that you can expect to be looked at 91% of the time when you pull into a scale.

This also shows that TMC still has serious safety issues, and I can't shake the notion that most of their safety concerns stem from logging issues due to the fact that their freight consists largely of building materials, which is cheap freight by anyones standards.

11. shellshocked50

shellshocked50 Bobtail Member

Oct 17, 2006
    Hey all, I just wanted to throw in my .02

I have been checking this forum recently As I have had an interest in Trucking. I decided last month to apply for my CDL and hit the road. I am currently enrolled in a local junior college driving school that runs $2800. I am 38 years old, college degree, and worked as a professional. I am drawing retirement income from a job related injury, and just looking for supplemental income.

Our class had a recruiter from TMC visit us yesterday. It was a male recruiter, and he brought us McDonalds for lunch. He was the 3rd recruiter we have seen. I must say that the hairs on the back of my neck stand up when they walk in. Ive been around the block and smell BS a mile away. I watched him work the room reeling students in, and I wish I would have read this thread prior to this recruiter's visit. I would have blasted him to see him squirm.

Of course a recruiter is going to tell everyone that safety is their number one goal, you are an important part of the family, and that you can be making $46k a year, with plenty of home time. Thats what people want to hear.

He really stressed the safety, home time, and their performance pay. He even joked about their new Pete's on the road that skip through inspections because of their record and cleaniness. He presented a decent package as he explained the % program vs per mile. He bragged about the % is more profitable than per mile, however you have to tarp and secure your loads, so it comes with a price.

After training, you will get 25-27% of the shipping price. Then as you achieve time on and get evaluated you can go from 27-32%. He also mentioned that the dispatchers get these same types of % and I am wondering if this is where some of the problems are coming from.

I was considering looking further into TMC until this thread. Here's why.

IF they have a ISS-2 rating in the 90's, thats a huge red flag to law enforcement. That means as others have said, more thorough inspections, and more log books being closely examined and scrutenized. These are added stressors to drivers don't need. Its obvious TMC knew these issues.

I suspect they have obligations with construction deliveries time frames and not enough trucks to supply the demand. The recruiter told us that they just opened or opening a hub in Laredo, Tx for Trane and Carrier HVAC systems that are getting assembled in Mexico and coming back across the border. Their only way to meet these added obligations to deliver sheetrock, wood, pipe, HVAC units, and other building materials is to either pick up a lot more drivers to handle the workload, or not take on as many deliveries.....

I doubt they will turn the deliveries away if they continue to find drivers still willing to hang themselves out to dry to get these loads delivered. Remember, legally, they (The Company) will tell you not to move your unsecurred load, do not make U-turns, do not fudge your log books, to protect themselves.... So when the Poop happens, YOU were told not to do these things??? Your all alone

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.