TMC Transportation, Inc. - Des Moines, Ia.

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by TurboTrucker, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY
    What I don't get is they are really anal on their load securment. From visually inspecting their tie down method going down the road I would say they are going over kill as would relate to my experience.
    If they are so careful there then why so lax on logs and other DOT issues??? Doesn't make any sense.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. shellshocked50

shellshocked50 Bobtail Member

Oct 17, 2006
    Agreed! I was told the recruiter will be coming back in a couple weeks for a second crack. Ill take the time to hit him up on these issues and reply back if I get any useful info..:icon_jokercolor:

4. twotimes

twotimes Bobtail Member

Jan 5, 2007
    Just to let you all know Tmc is a great company to work for!I may be new to this ,only been driving for 13 yrs,but in my opinion they are top notch.I drive a 07' Pete,pull a 07' Benson trailer and make a ton of money,even by northeast standards.Every company is what you make of it,if your so wrapped up in all your ratings and numbers your going to get bogged down and lose sight of the ultimate goal,making money.Hey,you don't want to run hard don't,nobody is going to make you but don't gripe about making no money.You want to run hard good for ya' your gonna make a ton,be smart and be safe, you know better than anyone when you feel like running or sleeping.All I have to say to anybody just starting out in trucking is good luck,and if you think you found the perfect company your wrong, there is no perfect company.Tmc is a great company but by no strech of the imagination perfect.The point is,all companies at some point are going to want you to do something you may not want to do just remember you do have a choice.If anyone has any questions feel free to ask away!

nanaspop Thanks this.
  5. devildice

devildice Light Load Member

Nov 29, 2006
    Texas
    How long have you been driving for TMC?
    Are you on Line haul, Long Haul?
    What % are you currently at?
    How many loads are required every week?
    What is your average LOH?

6. twotimes

twotimes Bobtail Member

Jan 5, 2007
    Alright been with Tmc for a year I'm at 30% and loh is about 750 miles and I'm a dedicated driver.I'm home every weekend and twice during the week.Tmc has a wide variety of runs.

7. devildice

devildice Light Load Member

Nov 29, 2006
    Texas
    hanks

Thanks!

8. dstockwell

dstockwell Light Load Member

Oct 11, 2006
    Georgia
    Hey twotimes, I have but one question.. Can you explain why TMC's Safestat number is so high. I once considered TME until I saw their new numbers. I am not doubting they are a good company, more curious as to there safety issue's.

9. Rawlco

Rawlco Medium Load Member

Aug 13, 2006
    Central Maine
    I think the rating is so high because of drivers not taking care of the equipment properly. Many drivers will not get a problem fixed because it will take time and cost them money. They will put everything off until the next full service if possible. You will notice that the driver out of service is around 6% and the vehicle out of service is around 20%, both below the national average. Not all trucks are perfect and not all drivers are perfect but the key is that we are better than the national average.

As for why the ISS-2 is currently at 97, I think that has to do with all the close scrutiny. When any carrier gets put under the microscope some dirty laundry is sure to come out. Once the dirty laundry starts to come out the microscope gets refocused looking for more dirty laundry.

I can say that in two months I have never had a full inspection or been told to park at a scale. Usually the prepass gives the green light unless the gross is over 78,000 pounds, then they want a closer reading of the weight, so that high ISS-2 rating has not slowed me down one bit.

All of the "safety problems" can be avoided by an attentive driver. Safety begins and ends with the driver and the choices made by the driver. If you want to run safe equipment and a legal logbook that can be done at TMC while making good money.

nanaspop Thanks this.
  10. shellshocked50

shellshocked50 Bobtail Member

Oct 17, 2006
    Thanks for the heads up 2times. are you just running locally, just curioous how your home every weekend and 2x during the week? I believe most of their hauls are to the N/E. The % per run was appealing to me, but wondering if it would be worth it in the long run since the industry is so competitive and the bidding will continue to drop? Any Thoughts?

11. hardluckpro

hardluckpro Bobtail Member

i may be interested in roehl flatbed. so i'm letting you know. thanks

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.