TMC Weekly Pay

Discussion in 'TMC' started by Rob332, Dec 24, 2008.

1. Rob332

Rob332 Bobtail Member

Jun 1, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    I have posted the good and feel compeled to also post the not so good. As everyone is aware "or should be" freight is very slow right now. I am surprised they have not closed the school for awhile as they are not able to keep the current drivers they have busy. For the last 4 weeks my pay checks have not reached $300.00. I have spoken to several other drivers in the field and they are all saying the same thing, making around $240.00 a week. I pulled into a pilot truck stop last week waiting to get a load and was surprised to see 26 TMC trucks setting in the same location waiting as well.
    I went to the Indy terminal a couple weeks ago for service and have never seen so many empty trucks where drivers are leaving the company due to unable to survive on the pay. I have to admit I am in talks with Roehl transportation as they were my other choice before starting with TMC.
    On a lighter note, the trucks are nice and are kept in good shape. We are still required to submit a Purchase Order each week for a truck wash.

Double R

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. terrylamar

terrylamar Road Train Member

Oct 8, 2006
    Austin, TX
    It sounds real tough at TMC right now. I don't think it is only TMC, though. I am hearing the same thing from all the flatbedding companies. Until the economy smooths out, construction and manufacturing is going to be slow. That is what flatbedders primarily pull.

Just hold on until it starts picking up again. Why give away all the benifits you have earned at this point for a job that will probably have the same problems. I'm talking about your percentage points, vacation you have earned, health insurance.

While flatbedding is the first to feel the results of a slow economy, it is also the first to improve as the economy start to rebound.

My best advice is to hang in there until the economy starts to improve.

In the meantime there are some positive steps you can take to increase your pay.

Become a trainer, start recruiting, attend TQM, complete both phases of Road Scholar. If that many TMC drivers are in one place at one time, get out of your truck and talk to them. Find out what they are doing right and you are doing wrong. Where they are running to make money, loading, securing, tarping stratigies. Tell your FM you'll take the short low paying loads, you just want to work. While doing so you are building your credibility and a reputation with him. You will be paid back some day. You get the picture. Don't contrubute to the bellyaching and complaining. It will just get you down. Be positive and set yourself up for success when better times come around.

4. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    You make some very valid points throughout your entire post. But the snippet above only applies to those of us fortunate enough to have stayed the course, instead of buying the latest "economy bubble". Those of us who can ride it out.

The latest reports indicate that over 67% of American households are living paycheck to paycheck. By reducing those paychecks...these workers are forced to seek other opportunities. It's not a choice for them. It's a lifestyle statement.

The average American has 4 credit cards, and at least $10k of debt on those cards. With an average 14.33% interest rate, if they haven't been late on something stupid, like their light bill.

The average annual savings of an American... $397
    Rest assured, Bill Gates banking over 100K this year, skewed that number to high hell. As did Warren Buffets numbers.

The average monthly expenses...who knows. Mine are about $650 toys included. And, I'm willing to bet. I can live on the average car and insurance payment, that 70% of Americans make each month.

No, this is not a good time for anyone making $250 a week. I don't care how dedicated you are to your employer. If you can't feed your kids, and you want to remain a "good employee", then you're worthless as a parent. Who cares what kind of "team player" you are.

dgarrett0008 Thanks this.
  5. FirNaTine

FirNaTine Light Load Member

Nov 12, 2008
    South Jersey
    Alway remember the old saying "The grass isn't always greener on the other side" Unless I have a guaranteed better paying job that is steady, then I would stay put and ride it out, I already cut back on some things like cable tv and such. Everyone is hurting now trucking and non- trucking industries and it will only get worse before it gets better I think. If you have time in a company it might be better to stay put cause that job/company you goto might go belly up. Stick with the familiar, even if it hurts. Lots of people losing their jobs these days, that $300-400 a week and benefits is better than nothing.

6. terrylamar

terrylamar Road Train Member

Oct 8, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Thank you.

Statistics are great if you are average, but who of us is? We are all individuals and we have to make decisions based on our situation, not the average.

My advice was not meant for the emplyer, but the employee. I was talking specifically about TMC drivers, but it applies to anyone with a job. To switch jobs now is risky, to keep your job might be risky, each individual needs to look at his situation and make his own decisions. You loose quite a bit when you leave an employer, your insurance ends, your vacation time ends, your senority ends and so on and so forth. I believe it will be a short time before things improve. That is what I am basing my advice on. Optimism.

Again, I never said anything about being a "team player," so I'm not sure where the quotes are coming from.

If you throw your insurance away, you are not much of a parent either.

By all means if you find a truely better job, go for it. You come first.

7. dancnoone

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    It's only better if you can hold your ground. And you might as well face it. The majority of folks can't.

Just look at this forum. And the number of members who have signed on with a sudden willingness to take to the road, driving a truck. Something that never even crossed their minds, a mere 6 months ago.

All their hopes and dreams pinned on the trucking industry being their savior in this time of need.

These companies are grabbing them up by the 1000's in hope of reducing operating cost through the lower wages of "student" drivers.

When the economy recovers. These "new" drivers will go back to their old jobs. In other industries.

And we will be left to start the fight over for decent wages, which they will have destroyed (again) with the sudden urge to drive a truck...for free almost.

You demand your worth and get it. Or you go home.

Personally, I will come out the other side of this downturn. And I will make NO LESS than .35 a mile (to start) with benefits, and home on weekends.

Or I simply won't do it. I've paid my dues..5 times over.

Hazmat hauling and doubles...will pay me extra. Or I won't do it.

I get paid for my experience, and ability. Not for my loyalty. I provide a product, at a fair price. If you can't afford me...don't buy me.

I am for sale, to the highest bidder who meets my demands. Always....

I guess you can call me a mercenary. Have CDL will travel for $$$$

halfburn and Roadmedic Thank this.
  8. dancnoone

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi

Italics were for emphasis only.

Health care for children, is TOO easy (and cheap) to obtain. To use that as an excuse to stay at a slave driving company.

Unless you have a child with a major pre-condition. Even then, if you haven't looked into additional help for your family. You're slacking.

9. Rawlco

Rawlco Medium Load Member

Aug 13, 2006
    Central Maine
    I have now seen three holiday seasons at TMC and I can say that freight is always slow this time of year. Shortly after I first started I had one $91 paycheck. Truck driving is not a salary job and never has been. You earn money when the loads are delivered. I can honestly say that I have never had TWO paychecks at TMC exactly the same since the training pay of $350 per week. You have good weeks and bad weeks, good seasons and bad seasons. Ride the dips and be ready to hit the ground running when you do have a load.

dancnoone Thanks this.
  10. dancnoone

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    Thats it in a nutshell. You ride it out if you can. Trucking has always been up and down. Now is not much differant for those of us who can afford to ride the wave, really.

Bail if you can't ride. Then pray it doesn't get worse at the new place.

11. justanothercrzytrkdrvr

justanothercrzytrkdrvr Light Load Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Fort Worth Tx
    You guys have hit the proverbial nail on the head! We just moved from Virginia to Texas. I was working for a small local grocery supply company where the pay was o.k. but the benefits sucked!
    Anyway, I've been out dropping applications and talking to all kinds of companies, including TMC who has prequalified me. I haven't made up my mind yet & would prefer to stay local but at this point I just need to get back to work & will be happy to just have a job.
    I've been in the industry for 13 years, pulling everything from vans & flats to reefers & doubles. Your not going to get rich by any means in this industry but I love it! It's been good to me & my family so far.
    More to the point (a few posts above) most people do live outside their means, as did I for several years. We have just recently got ourselves down to a single car payment excluding the "bills" that you can't pay off (rent, groceries, insurance, etc).
    Yes it's tough out there right now but I would agree, if you already have a job, stay put unless you absolutely find something 100% better and you are sure that you have the job. Don't job hop, it doesn't look good and when you consider all the lost time between jobs, training, and everything else you would really have been better off where you were. Good luck to everyone out there right now, I hope it all works out for the better for all of us. I am trying to be optimistic as well but the reality of it is that it could be summer of 2010 before things really get turned around. This didn't happen overnight and it certainly won't be repaired in a few weeks or months either.

LawDawg, truckinwva and Rawlco Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.