to all end dump haulers...

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by leo319, Jan 25, 2012.

1. motocross25

motocross25 Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    Haha oh boy. That does sound fun. And thank you for all the info. Yea we are going to Vans Sanitation and Recycling and lookin at it from Google Map I don’t see a scale anywhere. So I’m betting it’s that last one you mentioned. Hopefully it’s not the second, sheesh. If it is the new one I’ll give you the rundown so if you do go there you’ll know what to expect. Thanks again bud!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Trashtrucker1707

Trashtrucker1707 Road Train Member

Dec 30, 2017
    I'm loaded with glass too, to go up to GA tomorrow. Long time customer though so I don't have to fight the headaches you might be in for @motocross25 although I am about 1,500 over on my drives, the heck with it though I'm rolling with it and crossing my fingers at the first scale in GA on 75.

4. motocross25

Sep 23, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    @Arctic_fox that Vans wasn’t in Sioux City it was in LeMars, IA. I’m a dip. Idk if you ever been there or not but if not it’s a breeze. You turn like you’re going to the ice cream plant and it’s on the left. Pass the building and go in that entrance, park by the building check in then go around the building to the other side by the pile. They call their business neighbor down with a high loader and they load you up. No scale but we had our 34’ trailers on and we were full before we made wait. It’s uncrushed glass so it’s pretty bulky. While my coworker was loading I asked if I could get a truck into the McDonalds up the street and he said “yea probably but just take our company pickup it’ll be easier for you”. Haha so I did that. Super nice people there. Made it back to kck with 3 minutes on the ELD. Dump in the morning and then go from there.
    @Trashtrucker1707 man glass must be the name of the game this week apparently. Hopefully that scale is closed for you tomorrow!

E3AE036B-720D-4846-8C6F-59AFB1F477A4.jpeg Lettin silico manganese hit the ground in Norfolk, NE.

kylefitzy Thanks this.
  5. Arctic_fox

Arctic_fox Experienced mx13 execrator

Sep 16, 2016
    Fair enough never been to that location myself. Glad it was a snap for ya though. Some of those locations are painful lol.

motocross25 Thanks this.
  6. motocross25

Sep 23, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    Hey guys just wanting to say hey. I do have a topic I want to feel everyone out on. I try not to get too serious or anything and I tend not to be a gloom and doomer or try to watch to much news BS, however, guys at work are and do. A lot of them are saying how with the state of the economy things are looking to take a massive plummet. How do you feel this will affect the bulk transportation industry? I mean you see how much concrete plant work we do, if construction falls all that goes away. Guys that have been here awhile said when the economy tanked in ‘08 it was bad. Bad bad. I guess our company sold off trucks and guys were bailing left and right to find other lines of work. What is everyone’s thoughts?

7. Arctic_fox

Arctic_fox Experienced mx13 execrator

Sep 16, 2016
    Its one of those "could go either way" type deals honestly. It will just depend entirely on what type of #### the economy takes. Some loads will keep right on moving regardless. Steel recycleing and manufactureing, glass recycleing, road material and other such items will likely still move and may tick up a lot in a recession as it will be cheaper to do then importing new. More luxury or non essential goods like mass building, landscapeing, hides and such will likely take a dump, and other loads will likely shift around.

There are a few mitigateing factors in play atm though that werent there in 08 that could help offset things. First a LOT of trucks are down due to parts shortages. This means trucks that are actully moving are more scarce and a lot that arent will cause the smaller outfits to go belly up or downsize a LOT thus driving that demand up more as less trucks will come BACK into the pool, especially as the shortages are getting even worse.

Next we have a trained driver shortage. This means even fewer trucks moving and with part shortages a lot of companys are likely to be more reluctant to put a noobie in a rig and risk him breaking something that deadlines it for weeks or months over an experinced driver unless things get really bad.

However, it would still be wise to have a backup plan. Have a month of pay on hand, be ready to jump ship if required and have a list of companys you like ready to apply to if required. Sadly the way the gooberment is currently burning cash a crash is inevitible at this point. The only questions are how long and how bad. From what i have seen with spending and how badly we are currently pissing everyone around us off...methinks it will make the great depression look like the golden age though.

motocross25 Thanks this.
  8. Trashtrucker1707

Trashtrucker1707 Road Train Member

Dec 30, 2017
    I've been where I'm at for a while now, I was a garbage hauler (hence the username) back in 2008 when I started here. I clearly remember the recession of '08 and hit the company hard. Trash always moved, I was based out of Tallahassee so we had the colleges, and the fact that it was the state capital, to keep us moving most of the year. I recall though some of our divisions taking serious hits, I think our short dump division basically came to a halt, a lot of guys had to go elsewhere, but it wasn't just us, a lot of the local aggregate companies lost a lot of their drivers or simply went out of business. I'm praying we don't see a repeat of that anytime in the near future, but it is cause for concern. Our frameless dumps are pretty diversified so I'd be interested to see what direction we would take, but we've never raised our rates thru the roof and have a lot of long time customers so I believe we could see ourselves to the other side if a recession does set in, either way I'm hoping for the best for all of us and this country as a whole. I had to absolutely shake my head when one of the headline stories this week on NBC nightly news was in reference to FaceBook being unavailable for a period of time a few days back......Seriously? It amazes me what we as a society place priorities on, November of this year will be 2 years for me, disconnected of any social media, best decision I ever made for myself.

motocross25 Thanks this.
  9. motocross25

Sep 23, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    @Arctic_fox i have to agree. That’s kinda the talk too from guys I’m workin with is the country has been propped up so long with bailouts and spending it’s a matter of time before it all comes crashing down. Hopefully like you said as much work as we do with the railroad, and steel and things we can keep busy. Salt is a major avenue for my company as well and I don’t see that going away with a recession. I guess time will tell.

@Trashtrucker1707 i agree we are pretty diversified up here too and have our hands in all sorts of pies so hopefully we can make do with whatever comes our way. I don’t have any social media either and I like it that way. I do have Instagram just cuz I have 2 preteen daughters in the house and I made an account that I made them add to their friends list just so I can check in from time to time and see what they are posting and make sure who they are communicating with is up to snuff. But other than that’s it.

10. Professor No-Name

Professor No-Name Road Train Member

Nov 26, 2016
    Companies can also diversify into hauling some haz mat if need be. Ya get dirty bagging trailers but it pays well. I hauled dirty dirt off of govt clean up sites and dust outta steel mills before. As long as the mills are making steel then there is dust to haul. We took it to a recycling facility that would extract the zinc. Then the leftover cooked stuff was basically a burnt rock that went to asphalt companies.

11. Tall Mike

Tall Mike Road Train Member

Aug 20, 2014
    New York
    Good morning bucket heads..

Since I last checked in here I ended up taking a local job with a paving/construction outfit here at the house. Most of the summer I ended up pulling either a quad axel bucket or Flow Boy with a suggested legal weight of 117k. Most days we were a bit north of our suggested legal weight. In other words I know how to run heavy safely.

Now that construction is over for me looking to go back out on the road as unemployment is a joke here in what's left of NYS.

My question is, do any of you guys have anything new on Bones ? I've read the old posts a few pages back and came away thinking they were a pretty stand up outfit.

How about Tony Pease Trucking anything on them ?

Also looking at Kiser [sp?] out of Virginia if anyone has anything to say about them. I do know Kiser better fits how I want to truck, or did. Have not run or unloaded with any of their guys in a long while.

Would like to stay away from the dreaded elog and big company BS. I do much better with the smaller outfits.

Thanks in advance and be safe out there,

Mike

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.