to all end dump haulers...

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by leo319, Jan 25, 2012.

1. motocross25

motocross25 Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. staceydude

staceydude Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2020
    Awesome Dutch Shep.

This is my Malinois, Had to put him down Earlier this year at 9 years old after a long battle with cancer.

Great dogs. This was a photo shoot for walkers game ears I was asked to do with him. Lol. He had fun. I have a female currently and should be getting another pup to train soon.

755CD188-A023-44E5-9580-A652A759D9D9.jpeg

RockinChair, NightWind and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  4. staceydude

Apr 3, 2020
    So I’ve been scouring the inter webs looking for a decent trailer.

I’m not investing new trailer money right now. So I am looking for a good used southern trailer that has been owner operated or had very few hands touching it vs company owned. There sure are some beaten down trailers out there lolol.

Not near as many spread axles out there but just doing the math seems the ability to scale the 40k vs 34k on trailer would really increase the revenue capability over the course of a weeks worth of loads.

Now, I have always run a spread axle flatbed 53’ and I am somewhat ignorant when it comes to bridge laws.

In Texas if I’m pulling a 39’ spread axle with a 265”WB 379 I can scale 40k on trailer correct? No worries for Bridge law in Texas?

I also understand I can purchase a yearly overweight permit for 84k here. I need to research that a bit.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  5. Professor No-Name

Professor No-Name Road Train Member

Nov 26, 2016
    Not sure where you're from but Springfield Tractor an Trailer in Springfield Illinois has a large inventory of 40 ft frameless dumps.

D.Tibbitt and staceydude Thank this.
  6. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Well take this for what its worth. I have no experience with end dump and no idea what u are looking to buy. But i got my rgn trailer thru a small dealership here in tucson az called tucson trux . they are good honest guys , atleast in my experience and they used to have 15-20 end dumps for sale but seems they only have 2 listed on their website... And theres also midco trailer sales over in chandler az has some used and new end dumps..they are a very well known company down here in az. Most local companies pull trailers fron them. They have a couple 2016 trailers for around 30k .. Now im not sure if any of those are what u are looking for or if they are even specd to do ur job, but just figured id give ya some more options to look at if u havent already seen those yet... I will keep an eye out down here if i see anything.

motocross25 and stuckinthemud Thank this.
  7. staceydude

Apr 3, 2020
    Thanks I’ll take a look.

I will go about anywhere for the right trailer if it is worth it.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  8. staceydude

Apr 3, 2020
    Thanks I’ll look into them.

Looking specifically for a aluminum 39-40’ spread axle with a liner if I can find it. I live so close to quarry here that I most likely will be doing standard stuff but would like the option of expanding to other commodities. I don’t know what the hell Im doing either so I will be careful with each step.

I have a lead on a couple spread axles but have to see them in person. I’ve seen a few that even if newer are pretty beat down from whatever they were hauling inside or just company trailers not taken care of so have to be real careful and check everything out for cracks etc. one in the southwest would be ideal just from a corrosion perspective.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  9. Professor No-Name

Nov 26, 2016
    Hey also something to keep in mind. If ya think ya might be hauling any scrap it's better if ya have a trailer that ya can put side rail extenders on. My old boss had his set up like that. It's planks bolted in place to make your sides taller. Bow pockets an tarp get repositioned to work with the taller sides. It's so ya can get more product loaded when it's really light material. And if by chance ya get or have your hazmat an ya can run across some dirty dirt or steel melt dust hauling, the stuff pays real well per ton to haul it. Ya gotta line your bed with plastic for loads like that though.

motocross25 and staceydude Thank this.
  10. motocross25

motocross25 Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    Yep 40k on trailer is right, no worries in Texas. We would haul red clay in Texas and that stuff is STICKY so we’d load heavy toward the back, and I hit a scale in Texas at 39,960 on my trailer and they didn’t bat an eye. You bring up a good point in the 34’ vs 40’ argument. You can get more commodity in a 40’. If you start talkin like grains and zorba and DDG, you need all the room you can get. We’d haul DDG in a 40’ and load it 3” over the bows. Pull out from under the chute, brake check it down, climb up with a shovel and rake it into the corners, and then back under for more all the way to the bows front to back and barely leave with 23 ton. Also you may want to see what you’re going to be hauling first before you get a liner. Liners are excellent for aggregates, and clay and things like that, but if you’re going to be hauling scrap metal or anything of the sort it will destroy it. I’ve never had a liner, and always got stuff to slide with just treating the bed different ways according to product. But again, that’s just my take on things. That and $.50 will get you a cup of coffee.

Also @staceydude when you’re lookin at trailers ask what the hoist ton rate limit is. We run 40 ton hoists, but some companies run 50. I’m not sure what the weight difference is as far as tare weight. When we would be in the commercial zone in KCMO we would load 38 ton, and sometimes it wouldn’t lift the last 2 stages until more product came out, then you could send it up. And that’s a long time waiting with your bed in the air waiting for 38 tons to come out. When you get to the point of looking at trailers, hook onto them and raise and lower them all the way up, and all the way down at least 3 times. You want to get all the air out of the cylinder and hydraulic lines. Look for oil leaking up where the cylinder meets the body of the bed, and around the collars of each stage. Check the draft arms for straightness and going up empty it should go up straight. If it’s askew or favors one side, it’s been turned over.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2022
    D.Tibbitt, kylefitzy and staceydude Thank this.
  11. Professor No-Name

Nov 26, 2016
    An i know this is kinda early but once ya get set up an running just cuz it pays by the ton don't go thinking you can get away with hauling super heavy to make more money. That hoist will only handle so much weight. Too much an it will snap and the end result is it falls forward an smashes directly onto the cab. I've seen pics of one laying over a day cab cuz the driver thought grossing over 100k was a good idea.

D.Tibbitt and staceydude Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.