to all end dump haulers...

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by leo319, Jan 25, 2012.

1. 58Skylane

58Skylane Medium Load Member

Mar 31, 2012
    Cody, WY
    I didn't read every reply. But did anybody mention crosswinds? Something I was told to be aware of on very windy days.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Voyager1968

Voyager1968 Road Train Member

Sep 11, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yes, it was mentioned somewhere in the thread.

4. TJW Transport

TJW Transport Bobtail Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Redlands, CA
    Alright that makes sense..I should mention both dump trailers I switch between are leaf so I guess that doesn't apply to me..BUT! I did learn something new today!

5. mastllc

mastllc Medium Load Member

Aug 28, 2008
    somewhere in ga
    you should still dump the suspension on your truck as well to be safe.

6. TJW Transport

TJW Transport Bobtail Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Redlands, CA

Ill try that next week and see how it feels. Thanks!

7. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    Voyager and I both mentioned the wind.

8. viper99991

viper99991 Bobtail Member

Aug 8, 2011
    Pontiac IL
    Where I work we had the alluminum ones long ones on windy days over 20MPH we dont use them at all. We had one guy that worked there for 20 years he only runs those flip one with 10mph winds. Never get comfy with dumping ever. Once you do over you go. I have just recently started dump trucks and my Trainor and boss said never act like you know somthing even if you worked her 50 years once you do over you go. I use I think 25 foot maybe 30 foot frameless trailors and loving it really alot. Windy days are not fun just had one on Thursday and was very rewarding as the owner went with me that day and said I did everything right Dumped into the wind not with the sides said its little safer that way he proceeded to dump with the wind on the sides and showed me. WOW that was scary.

9. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    I had no problem having the gate on the side of the trailer, you can get out, check out the ground you are dumping on, kick tires, and visually check to make sure the tail gate actually opened, clean the spill plate when your done etc.

Eaton18 Thanks this.
  10. Dirthauler3

Dirthauler3 Bobtail Member

Jun 28, 2012
    Abington MA
    All great advise, id like to add a couple. First if you are dumping in a residential area check for wires and trees above. 2nd if you find yourself on uneven ground and can't get level, you can dump a little out put body down and back one set of trailer wheels onto product to level yourself a little better.

11. Safeclean Services

Safeclean Services Bobtail Member

Dec 24, 2011
    Northeast PA
    All good advice in these posts.Never take anything for granted when dumping a dump trailer.I have seen over 15 dump trailers go over hard in the last ten years and some of the drivers with 20 years experience.Years ago I had a dump trailer go over near me in a mulch yard and just miss my cab by about 8 feet.I have seen 2 go over in the last 3 weeks ,one was a very experienced owner operator with over 20 years experience and it was the second time that trailer laid over in the last 5 years.Luckily it broke free at the fifth wheel and his Pete did not go over with it.The other one was dumping dirt and the truck and trailer went over right on top of another truck,luckily the other truck had no one in it.Most places will space out dump trailers so if it goes over it does not land on another truck.I ran end dump for a little while about 12 years ago ,the work was easy,but had a couple of close calls on soft ground on windy days.You can be as careful as you can be,but the conditions(soft ground,uneven ground,load that sticks on one side,windy day) or mechanical failure ,like a cracked frame,blown tire etc can put you over in a second.There was a company that used to run frameless dumps that hauled ash to a landfill ,I know of 8 of their trucks that went over in 1 year,one guy with a brand new Vision Mack and brand new Mac frameless dump,he had over 20 years experience and the truck was 3 days old. Just be careful and don't take anything for granted and take your time,and if you don't feel comfortable where they have you dumping especially on soft ground,don't get rushed or bullied by some arrogant operator or site worker who could care less if you go over or not and will be the excitement of his day if you do .

blade and Eaton18 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.