To be a sub contractor or go on pay roll?

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Champagne mane, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Champagne mane

Champagne mane Bobtail Member

Jan 17, 2019
    Hi I worked as an sub contractor for my first year and grossed 50000 in about 10 months my cpp and tax that i have to pay is 9600 I'm wondering how much do companies deduct out of a pay cheque if i go on a payroll

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 3noses

3noses Light Load Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Clearwater, B.C.
    Do you own the truck you are driving?

4. 3noses

3noses Light Load Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Clearwater, B.C.
  5. Champagne mane

Jan 17, 2019
    Well this was my only first year and my accountant filed the taxes in right manner otherwise people before have been around 6000 for 75000 gross and I'm almost paying 10k for 50k gross but my question is since there are strict restrictions now i dont think it's worth it to be incorporating so I'm wondering approximately what percentage do companies deduct out of pay cheque if I go on payroll

6. Champagne mane

Jan 17, 2019

7. HighwaySuperTramp

HighwaySuperTramp Medium Load Member

Feb 8, 2015
    I honestly couldn't tell you, I do have a question for you though. How the hell are you paying in to CPP? When I was an OO I never paid into CPP or EI, my expenses made sure that I never had to.

Actually I never paid Taxes on anything other than GST/HST on fuel and parts/service and I always got that back. So... sorry but in my eyes either you or your accountant screwed something up bad.

3noses Thanks this.
  8. Champagne mane

Jan 17, 2019
    O/O is different I guess I dont own a truck sub contractors used to write of bunch of expenses off as well like car insurance office supplies room rent for office etc and etc but not any more because of restrictions so i was just wondering how much would companies deduct out of pay cheque because I dont see the point in being incorporated at all due to 10 k tax on 50 k gross and also add another 2k for wcb and cost of filling taxes which I pay also and get nothing in return so it would make sense to find better company on pay roll with benefits and all that good stuff

9. 3noses

3noses Light Load Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Clearwater, B.C.
    At least you are paying attention, that's good. Fire your accountant A.S.A.P. and get one who knows the law, for starters. The only reason you are still around is because you were never audited by C.R.A. yet, it's as simple as that. Many sources on this forum have pointed out that company drivers CANNOT be legally paid as sub-contractors, incorporated or not, it's that simple. It even has been the subject of various national media outlets recently, there is no excuse for not knowing it now.
    As to your original question, the total amount of deductions from the paycheck of a company driver will usually be around 25-30 % of gross. Exact amount amount depends on family situation, province of residence, and how much you are actually making per week or month gross. But all the required deductions by law (C.P.P., U.I., additonal health benefits if available, will have been paid, and the total net on the check is YOUR money. And if you are using the right # of dependants, you should get money back at the end of the tax year as a refund. And you will have the comfort of knowing you have compo, paid correctly by your company. And lastly, you can sleep at night, knowing the taxman is not going to ruin your life some day for scamming the system..

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  10. Champagne mane

Jan 17, 2019
    Thanks this is what I wanted to know I already talked to them about putting me on payroll last week but they weren't too supportive of the idea but now I'm sure what to do if I have to i will switch companies if they dont put me on payroll with 1 year solo experience should be able to find something.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.