To chicken light, or not

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Gumper, Jan 18, 2020.

Opinions on the extra truck lights

1. Keep what’s left of the glorious lights

9 vote(s)
    10.1%
  2. Take all of it off, go bare minimum

24 vote(s)
    27.0%
  3. Add more like it’s Christmas

56 vote(s)
    62.9%
  1. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    I love sitting and watching people work while I am in the lawn chair with an adult beverage. And I do like the entertainment of you passing me on the highway if they are well designed and working properly.
    Thank you for the effort. :)

650cat425, MrEd, Big_D409 and 5 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Swine hauler

Swine hauler Medium Load Member

Jun 21, 2019
    I like my chicken lights and have a distinctive layout. Not over the top fancy, just different. The local DOT recognizes me immediately, and because I have good reputation with them always just get the " thumbs up" when rolling through a local coop. Barely slow down. Of course, being recognizable could work against you too if you've been known to be lax on your maintenance!!

I am absolutely anal about my wiring, you have to be here in N.E. with the excessive amount of salt and calcium they use here.

I use dialectic grease when making the connection to good quality LED lights, with water proof connectors , followed by liquid black tape, followed by friction tape, followed by that crinkley wire loom. Anything under the truck that can't fit in the wire loom gets a couple of shots from the grease gun. This includes all connections at the tail lights, headlights, directionals, markets and of course all ground posts, including the batteries.

4. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    I have enough trouble with the factory installed ones and keeping them working. I worked for a small company for a few months with 2 trucks, and he had them decked out with chicken lights, I mean like 100 on the trailer alone. They were always messing up and burning out. A scale house almost pulled me OOS one night because a few weren't working. Told my boss to get them fixed or he'll be paying a for it dearly.

201 and Swine hauler Thank this.
  5. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    I hope you politely explained to that officer that auxiliary lights are not required to work. Chicken lights not working is not even a ticket, let alone an OOS violation.

6. stillwurkin

stillwurkin Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2017
    I say keep them. Little extra work at times. Have to use more for wire repair than a unsealed butt connector. Dielectric grease silicone, . Keep the wires from rubbing through. Have noticed some real hack jobs on wiring. Not just chicken lights either. Remember a trucked parked b-tail. His tractor taillights had a bundle of wire and connectors that reminded me of a big bowl of spaghetti. What could go wrong?

7. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I’m with you. I believe in Keep It Simple Stupid. :)

201 Thanks this.
  8. MrEd

MrEd Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Winfred, SD
    All of those lights on a trailer have some value. I've pulled trailers with a lot of nice bright chicken lights, and I've pulled trailers with the minimum number of lights. To me, it is a lot easier to see when backing into a dark parking spot with a well lit up trailer. They cast a lot of light into that hole and into the truck and trailer on each side you are trying not to hit. If I owned my own truck and trailer, I'd have the lights. Wire it up right and the maintenance isn't any worse than with factory minimum number of lights. I don't remember having more trouble with more lights. A short in a light is still a short in a light, no matter how many unshorted lights you have.

wore out, 650cat425, JonJon78 and 5 others Thank this.
  9. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Not in my neck of the woods. In Wis. and Ill. I was told, if you have a light on the truck, it must work.

10. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Do you even have fuses on those chicken lights? There's no way a short should affect the alternator. The moment a power wire touches ground it should pop the fuse almost immediately.

Shawn2130, ChevyCam, 650cat425 and 6 others Thank this.
  11. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Didn't guys with all those lights need "big rig alternators" too?

stillwurkin Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.