To everyone that has white coat syndrome when getting BP taken.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by longhairdontcare, Sep 18, 2018.

1. longhairdontcare

longhairdontcare Light Load Member

Sep 4, 2016
    Always get yourself tested using a AUTOMATIC blood pressure machine. If they only use a manual one with the pump, run the other way as fast as possible. They can manipulate however they want with those things.

Mattflat362 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Orlando Florida based Medical examiner website!
    ^^^^^^^^ does NOT support your claim!

A 2nd Medical Examiner website!
    ^^^^^^^ does NOT support your claim!

A third website that does not support your claim either!

^^^^^^^^ this one is a bit old. However this is an active blog and I am positive if anything has changed since that time it would have been updated.

Now I am going to ask you as nicely as I can to stand down! You are dead wrong! If you have found a ME that is accepting a doctors statement in place of that FMCSA REQUIRED testing that ME is a crook!

4. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I refuse, NO I categorically refuse to live in a word where I distrust everybody. There is no reason for someone giving you a physical to actively tank it. This is akin to a pilot telling a TSA agent I don't need a weapon I am the pilot and can crash the plane. The ME has a host of ways to send you off without a card. Now You bring up the method used to make the BP reading. There are many threads in these forums where drivers are saying the exact opposite. Most of us men have large arms. We can not have our BP took with a regular size cuff. These things are notorious for false readings. At the Hampton Virginia VA hospital they generally use the automated BP machines with the pulse and temp options. My VA heart Doc Dr Selvarayan has used both the machine as well as the old manual system. Most every reading is good and they don't vary all that much. The key here with any system is to make dang sure the Nurse/tech that takes that BP uses the correct cuff. These cuffs sizes are critical with the automatic machines.

Just a note here to anybody caught in this regular cuff situation. If you can't get your BP read with the proper size cuff balk like hell at continuing the physical (even none DOT ones) DEMAND this person get the right cuff. Don't buy that garbage that it don't matter, IT DOES!

5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    BUT and it is a BIG BIG BUT, they are NOT required to.

This is my point.

NO matter what others say, get with the FMCSA and see what the latitude is on the examine.

NOT to be an ##*** about this, but a lot of examiners view third party confirmations with a bit of skepticism and are given the choice to accept it or not.

When a driver comes in and they have no Primary Care Physician or have no means to demonstrate there is a required means to qualify for a pass, then the examiner either has to investigate or fail the driver. This includes for diabetes, a plan with a treating physician who can spell out on what the patient is doing to mitigate the disease.

Just like the ID type 1 and 2, the FMCSA has pretty much gutted the waiver program and allowed simpler requirements to take place but this does not mean that the examiner has to accept what a treating physician has been doing to accept someone with ID type 1 or 2.

6. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I totally agree. This is why im being an ### with maintaining my point. Letters IF accepted are used WITH the testing. Not in place of it. Anybody that says otherwise is either badly mistaken or telling an outright lie.

7. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    As I said in a earlier post MEs generally are not doing diagnostic testing, they are testing to see how someones health relates to the FMCSA medical standards. Remember there are a huge amounts of MEs that are not even physicians. In my experience that most MEs regardless of if you have a PCP or not will issue a short term card in those situations. I know for me my last several physicals I had a "trace" to show up in my urine dips. The ME just asked me if I have ever been tested for diabetes and after a quick pin prick and a actual blood sugar test gave me my card. Outside of the sleep apnea mills I have a lot of respect for most of the MEs I have met and did my physicals. They are NOT trying to screw drivers over.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.