To Jake break or Not

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by LabRat63, Jan 12, 2020.

1. BUMBACLADWAR

BUMBACLADWAR Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2013
    My Jake is on 95% of the time.No,its not on today on Snoqualmie.. no.Was chains required anyhow ...to keep you slowed down. I Save my brakes for when I just May have to depend on them.JMO

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Oh yes they sure do.

When some lonely hamelt town in PA somewhere shrouded in deep fog with a blinking 4 way at the bottom of all 4 14% downgrades off their respective ridges. Contains a church, rectory, three private homes and a small gas station.

Two of the three homes late at night deep in winter lights come on as they wonder if I am going to make the stop at the bottom as I am shifting down from 4th low to 3rd low, redline the poor engine from 2300 all the way down to 1100 and make the shift to 2nd low and work down to granny. Each shift made is a horrendous clash of metals doing battle against the horrible hill with that family wondering if I will get stopped at that sign or not.

The last time I passed through I stopped in granny low. Owner runs out and shows me a scopped handful of mortars that were being shaken out of his brick work. Shakes the very ground. And jingles the hell out of that wedding heirloom china set. (They sway and jingle on floor joisted surfaces. But if you put them in dedicated prepoured slab rooms that don't move for nothing then that takes care of the jingle and sway.)

Although I remember a B52s screeching skyward on drills trying to escape out relatively small county field The screeching for those 8 demonic hellion 1961 era engines in their nacelles caused the entire home to viberate, slabs and all. Then the chimney to set to jingling the copper up top.

HOOOOOOWWWWWWLLLLLLLLL Jingle jingle jiongle in tune with those cursed old engines.

God I love the sound of freedom but you really need to be free to appreciate that.

I understand the B52's are recieving new engines within a year or three. Which will cause them to become angels for record breaking time to altitude and escape from a base to time and distance when they are trying to flush say Ellsworth in a hell of a hurry. I think they had 54 buffs up just enough to fold the wheels, climbed a mite higher than that so they don't gouge wingtips and proceeded to scatter to the all points of the compass staying at about 180 feet above the ground trying to put whatever scrap and fold in terrain between them and the doomed base.

54 planes out of here in about oh 11 minutes. Anyone left behind has about 6 minutes to find a hole. Or waste the time on futile prayers and supplications to a stone faced God who is about to be collecting a worlds worth of people sometimes very soon.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  4. BUMBACLADWAR

BUMBACLADWAR Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2013
    I probably would have high tailed it out of the house too! Terrible location for a dwelling. Only thing between them and 105,000 lbs.of Runaway Cold Rolled Steel is a white picket fence ! Lol

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  5. LDLWells

LDLWells Heavy Load Member

Jan 14, 2019
    My name is quiet so it's on most of the time. The greatest thing about traction control is the Jake cutting off when the wheels slip

Chubby Fly Thanks this.
  6. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Yes, I know how they work, I was just responding to the post about the Jake Brake working off of the injector plunger, which a lot of engines don’t have.

7. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Ok sorry. The way I read your post it sounded like you were asking about how it worked on engines without an actual injector lobe on the cam.

m16ty and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  8. Chubby Fly

Chubby Fly Medium Load Member

Nov 25, 2019
    you do have a quiet name

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.