To lease or buy? That is the question.......

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by SteveScott, Mar 26, 2018.

1. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    I agree but when you get into it more in depth from an Owner Operator perspective you'll really see what I mean.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    I thought about that, but looking at the big picture I can at least deduct 100% of the lease payments as opposed to depreciating the truck over 5 years and only being able to deduct the interest on the loan. I know it's a trade off, but if I can work free maintenance and full service in the lease deal it sounds too good to pass up, even with the additional for mileage. I won't be venturing more than 1,000 miles from my home each week, so the most I should have is 2,000 a week.

driverdriver Thanks this.
  4. johnnyman1099

johnnyman1099 Medium Load Member

Mar 13, 2017
    I have been an owner operator for over 10 years and have gone through many used trucks. From observing many local trucking companies in the Charlotte, NC area and working for them, i realize that leasing is the way to go for me. I am not a mechanic nor do I want to be one. Trucks depreciate too much in 5 years. $2000/month plus the small per mile rates that includes full service is a low rate compared to Penske's rate.

Now, full service can be tricky depending on what it includes. My previous employer were paying more than $3,000 a month of their lease, but it includes all roadside, tires, any mechanical issues and if the truck is down for more than a day, they get a free rental truck. This full service means full service.

I have mostly cash my previous older trucks and the maintenance and down time cost more than $3000 a month on a yearly average. Most guys does not factor in downtime.

SteveScott Thanks this.
  5. VagaWheel

VagaWheel Bobtail Member

Apr 4, 2018
    Miami, FL
    Hi SteveScott,
    Could you please dive an update of your story, how did it go?
    Have you finally leased? What about Insurance, what have you found for your new company?

I am asking it, because I am also thinking about starting my own trucking company

6. SteveScott

Nov 10, 2015
    I had a family emergency that killed 3 weeks for me, so I'm just now getting back on track. I'm still setting up the corporation and then getting my DOT and MC numbers. Once that is done I'll move into getting the equipment leased and insurance. Will post updates as they happen.

VagaWheel Thanks this.
  7. darknessesedge

darknessesedge Medium Load Member

Jul 8, 2013
    buy a cheaper used truck and run it...fix it,,..until you can afford better

8. VagaWheel

VagaWheel Bobtail Member

Apr 4, 2018
    Miami, FL
    Steve, thank you!
    Looking forward for your updates.
    Your story and her progress is encouraging me, because I am also about your age and kind of in the same situation.

By the way, are you filing for DOT, MC, IRP, IFTA etc by yourself or using some company to fill it for you?

9. SteveScott

Nov 10, 2015
    I'm planning on doing it myself. Will let you know if I run into any problems.

10. Buckeye 60

Buckeye 60 Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2018
    lease or buy ..... different strokes for different folks either works .... it's a lot better when the thing gets paid for lol .... just waiting for it to blow up .... nothing like the feeling when you get that first title in your name. ... the way the new tax laws are buying is a little better for taxes

SteveScott Thanks this.
  11. SteveScott

Nov 10, 2015
    As long as I'm making enough to comfortably cover the payments, I'd rather have the title in the banks name and a warranty to cover repairs. I'm no mechanic. I've owned a lot of new cars in my life, and it seems like every one that I've wound up keeping beyond the warranty craps out right after the warranty ends.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.