To leave or not?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by AzTrucker13, Sep 12, 2021.

1. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Look op, i am going to offer a bit of advice for you, seeing you have a future and going to get married.

You can always make money

you can do your 40, get home and have a side job selling crap on Amazon and eBay, doing it right you can make more than what you make doing your 40. People your age are making five and six times that amount of money without killing themselves.

However …

You can’t make more time.

You start your family life and devote as much time as you can to it so it is a stable family because it pays off in the long run.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AzTrucker13

AzTrucker13 Bobtail Member

Nov 30, 2017
    That is a good point. I guess my biggest thing is feeling like I could do more with more money, but I guess if I’m always at work and stay steady tired, it would be hard to make the time to actually do more.

Lonesome Thanks this.
  4. N00bLaLoosh

N00bLaLoosh Road Train Member

May 13, 2021
    Novi, MI
    That sounds horrible, if I were you I'd go OTR asap.

Just kidding.

You're 26, if you haven't already I suggest you talk to a good financial planner. They might be able to clue you in on things you may need to look out for in the future among other things and that may make the decision for you right there.

I'm not going to tell you to work your fingers to the bone but you are basically working a part-time job right now.

AzTrucker13 Thanks this.
  5. NorthEastTrucker

NorthEastTrucker Medium Load Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Since you're home during the week working 40 hours per week most including myself would say you have it made as long as you earn a comfortable living. When I was 26 years old I had a similar situation minus the pets but gave it up to earn more driving OTR. I lost my girlfriend after 6 months because she didn't want to accept that I would only be home on weekends or sometimes once once for one night alone on a Wednesday. After a few years during my younger days as I drove city to city state to state I decided to go back to local city driving and build my way now to one of the top wages locally. I've been married for only 5 years (got married late in life) so my belief is Money $$ is good however, you can never get back time or might not find that special lady your life. In some cases you might get a 2nd chance however most don't. The money can always be made but "Time" can never be given back or recouped. From that I'm sure you will be able to make your decision.

AzTrucker13, Coffey and Lonesome Thank this.
  6. Tropsnart

Tropsnart Road Train Member

Jun 8, 2015
    Pavilion New York
    Ask the beer hauling boss for a nice raise.

BunBaoPho88 and AzTrucker13 Thank this.
  7. Just passing by

Just passing by Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Mississippi
    You're living my dream life. Enjoy every moment of it, driver. If circumstances change, in the future, then maybe consider more work hours but right now you're good and that's priceless.

AzTrucker13 Thanks this.
  8. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    I agree with that too. OP if you have any FedEx contractors hiring around you check that out. My neighbor does that and is home daily. Leaves out at 4am and back by noon-1pm doing 340 miles a day. Drops the set, hooks to another and drives 170mi back to the yard. About 1150wk avg with the option to work a 6th day

AzTrucker13 Thanks this.
  9. AzTrucker13

Nov 30, 2017
    I’ll see if I can find a financial planner. And yeah it definitely feels like part time. It’s hard work while I’m there, but once it’s over, it’s nice.

I’m definitely content with where I’m at. We’re not struggling by any means. That’s my biggest worry is not being able to go back if the fuel hauling didn’t work out. It’s a hard schedule to give up.

We were supposed to get one before summer started. Would be nice. I doubt they would give me a raise though. I really don’t do enough to justify the amount I’m paid now compared to the other drivers. Haha.

I’m definitely enjoying it. I think I may stay where I am. I’ve gotten some solid advice from people on here. And it seems that time will always outweigh the money.

I may look into that. Wouldn’t be a bad gig at all. I appreciate it.

Lonesome Thanks this.
  10. fairshake

fairshake Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Chickenville, BFE
    When I used to job hop I'd make a list of "positive and negative" things for each company and go with the one with bigger positives. Sometimes the higher pay isn't worth the trouble, or starting all over again.

AzTrucker13 and Lonesome Thank this.
  11. AzTrucker13

Nov 30, 2017
    That is true. It pretty much came down to hometime vs pay and benefits. The hometime is just the winner for now.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.