To my fellow HH O/O's and Owners

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by kptnt2016, Mar 1, 2020.

1. kptnt2016

kptnt2016 Light Load Member

Sep 22, 2018
    Do you quote your jobs with a calculator?

When I say a calculator im speaking in terms of a calculator that takes in to account all fixed and applicable expenses per load, and from those creates the calculator creates a rate? If so im wondering at what percentage of the job (profit) do you feel satisfied with a particular load? In this case ill reference 9 axle trailer loads, very common in California.

Im a new/younger owner and I have kept a close eye on what looks to be the most successful companies in my area, SF bay area, i.e: Reeves, Mike O'Brien, Taylor HH, Patterson HH, Renn Transportation, Bubba's, Depaoli, D. Hill and some others. It seems that some of these companies would have to be carrying so much overhead it seems unsustainable. California real estate rates, payroll, and in some cases 2-3 13axle axle setups (or larger), 10+ 9axle, multiple $90k 16 tire units, not to mention goldhofers and job specific equipment, lifts, etc.

Im wondering in a nutshell given a lot of the general rates being in the pits what percentage or ball park percentage of profit do you guys attempt to quote your jobs at? I've googled the industry standard yo be 6-8%. But of course that couldn't be profitable per load.

Tug Toy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bel

Bel Bobtail Member

Mar 1, 2020
    Are you going to use a factoring co?
    Are you going to do your own billing etc?
    Theres so many factors in your question.

4. Bel

Bel Bobtail Member

Mar 1, 2020
    Gas card from factoring co? who is loading your truck? How many miles a day do you run?
    Do you want to just do local? Or LH?

5. kptnt2016

Sep 22, 2018
    NO factoring, I have my own accounting, admin, dispatching and dispatch team. We can keep almost everything besides some mechanical work in house. We make a concerted effort to make our financial statements at the most professional levels they can be.

Tug Toy Thanks this.
  6. kptnt2016

Sep 22, 2018
    Well... I guess no one wants to give up the "inside info."

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.