To sell out or not to sell out.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by OldeSkool, Nov 1, 2022.

1. OldeSkool

OldeSkool Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Arkansas
    I haven’t been getting on this forum as much the last year or so, but I’m wondering what you as owner operators are thinking by now. When fuel first was going up, truck prices were high and I felt confident I could sell out and be in good shape if it didn’t work. Now truck prices are dropping and it’s more looking like I would break even if I sold out. Everything I read predicts fuel to continue to go up. I feel like I can’t handle it getting any worse than it is now.

fordconvert, Siinman, bzinger and 2 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    There’s a lot of variables .

and you left most of them out of your post.

you have your own MC ?
    Leased to someone else using their Mc?

using their dispatchers ?
    Find your own freight or using load boards ?

If you’re using brokers to find freight you’re always gonna be broke.
    It’s built into the name .
    The brokers always always always steal the good money off the top and lie a bit how much the load pays .
    The broker is making more money off the load sitting in their cushy chair in front of a computer screen than you are.

4. OldeSkool

OldeSkool Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Arkansas
    I run locally hauling wood chips. That’s another problem. Work is slow because a lot of the log trucks are parked since they can’t afford to run at current rates. The lumber mill I haul out of has lowered production since they can’t sell lumber and can’t hardly get logs to make lumber. I don’t have authority since I don’t need it for what I do.

I know what I do is different than most of you, my main concern is that diesel will go up some more. With work being slow already, and the mill saying they can’t go up anymore on rates I’m just feeling at the end of my rope.

I’ve considered getting my authority and getting out on the road, but is it worth it with things as they are?

5. Jubal Early Times

Jubal Early Times Road Train Member

Oct 17, 2022
    No it’s not worth jump on the spot market at this point.

6. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    Love how some of the local places would rather cut production then up rates, I actually have a brand new dump trailer in the yard this year that I can count how many days I’ve ran on for similar reasons when another place had a project fall apart

might be worth seeing if you can talk to your customer to get a flat and haul some of their lumber out bound, I wouldn’t bother with the spot market though.

7. UItraman

UItraman Bobtail Member

Oct 25, 2022
    I have my own authority and no direct customers- so I search load boards.... I can say that the rates on the spot market are not sustainable for me- with the rates so low and fuel so high, it's basically hoping my truck has zero issues, because ANY issue with the truck would put me in the hole. It use to be when I ran a load, a quarter of the load pay would be fuel, then half to the truck and half to me- Now it's half (if I'm lucky) to 3 quarters for fuel and the rest mainly to the truck for insurance, dot bs etc. I'm lucky because everything I own is paid for and I have rental properties, so I've been parking my truck a lot the last month or two, because I refuse to run at cost for these people.

8. Kenworth6969

Kenworth6969 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2020
    #### log truck rates have crashed too. :biggrin_25513:

9. Kenworth6969

Jul 3, 2020
    With interest/mortgage rates going higher and higher there is and will be less demand for wood for building, along with other building products.

I do flatbed and I see and hear it directly from shippers.
    So I would assume hauling wood is doomed for a while.

If you are cool with $2 a mile with $6 fuel then head out on the road.

10. Ray-z

Ray-z Bobtail Member

Jan 25, 2020
    I have a friend on Florida who works for a big wood company. They make trusses and wood floors. Laid off 300 + employees in last 2 weeks.

Siinman, Dennixx, Vampire and 3 others Thank this.
  11. Kenworth6969

Jul 3, 2020
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.