To those who stream radio from their phone all day: How?

Discussion in 'Cellular - Voice - Data' started by sideloader, Nov 25, 2017.

1. BrandonCDLdriver

BrandonCDLdriver Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I'm on cricket unlimited plan. 40 dollars a month. I hit 80gigs a month and I never have been throttled. It uses ATT towers.

I stream in music the entire time I drive. That or I watch espn, fox sports, fox news or youtube video mixes.

Short Fuse EOD and driverdriver Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BrandonCDLdriver

Sep 1, 2017
    And with Cricket there is no contract. Just bring your own phone or use one they let you use. I pick my own phone so I can get exactly what I want.

4. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    I do Pandora or Iheart radio. Stream them constantly. 8 - 10 hrs every day.

No issues eating up data. I'm on Verizon unlimited also.

Not sure what or where your problem is. Maybe turn off apps that run in the background. Disable apps you dont need or want running in the backgrond. Disable permissions of various apps that want data permissions. Turn off location services or at the very least restrict how apps behave using it.

I always spend a few hours going through a new phone to see what its doing.

Hurst

BoostedTeg Thanks this.
  5. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    I have Sprint with true unlimited data, and I use a wifi hotspot I picked up at this outfit, www.impact-wireless.com for when things aren't working with the phone...

This hotspot device has a $243 down stroke and runs $79 a month, no contract and no limits on data usage. Service is through T-Mobile, and it is blazing fast. Actually faster than my Xfinity cable at the house if you can believe that. So far so good, but I don't go anywhere to speak of, mostly run around Michigan, maybe a little Ohio and occasionally Indiana. So far no issues with either phone or hotpot. They work.

And Sprint, at least until the 9th of December, is offering one helluva a deal on phones and their unlimited service. I picked up three iPhone 8+ units and one iPhone 8 and my first bill was $138. They already sent me next months bill, $139. That is four new iPhones and service. The contract is for 18 months and I can buy the phones at the end for $180 ea. or roll over and get new phones.

Maybe the above will help, and I know of Sprint and T-Mobile reputations as far as service and trucking go, which is not always the best. ATT and Verizon are still king... But getting rid of a $350 monthly ATT phone bill that did throttle my data, was worth it to me, even with the T-Mobile hotspot I am still saving money. And when Xfinity goes down at the house, I can break out the hotspot... ;-)

6. BrandonCDLdriver

Sep 1, 2017
    Why do people still use serius Sat radio with an external antenna when they have streaming music on the phone for free? With like 99.5% reliability everywhere you go?

I will NEVER pay for radio.

7. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I don't pay for SiriusXM. Company does, along with satellite TV. It's a "driver benefit". Streaming music is fine if you don't venture too far out into "the sticks" and have an unlimited data plan, and don't need to sometimes use your data to hotspot your laptop to to do heavy duty data use (netflix, photo uploads, etc). From what I'm hearing, if you stream on your smartphone all day, every day, your hotspot throughput will be virtually nothing sooner rather than later and that's not acceptable to me.

8. Ristow

Ristow Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2014
    Fema Region 5
    i now have unlimited data on the 55 dollar plan. straighttalk.

9. tlalokay

tlalokay Medium Load Member

Jun 3, 2014
    El Paso, TX
    T-Mobile has a program where you get unlimited music streaming with your plan. SiriusXM is part of that program as well as many others. That's probably how a lot of drivers stream music without overages or throttling.

Like others suggested, if your carrier also has a program like this and you're still getting throttled, then most likely you have auto-updates running in the background. Application updates can be in the 50-100 megabyte range each. So if you hundreds of apps and they auto-update every other day, this can turn into gigabytes pretty fast.

Check your application settings and make sure to turn off auto-updating. You may have to also restrict background data usage as well.

10. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    So we need to be data hogs to do our job Now? I have no computer, no TV, and no micro, no coffee pot, and no elog in my company truck. Same when I used my own.

11. danny23tx

danny23tx Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2016
    Austin,Tx
    And yet here you are on a thread about data usage lol some ppl .

z32sean and Oldironfan Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.