Tolerating cold temperatures without having to idle.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by TallJoe, Jan 14, 2018.

temp below which you need to idle to generate heat

1. 30F

11 vote(s)
    22.0%
  2. 40F

19 vote(s)
    38.0%
  3. 50F

12 vote(s)
    24.0%
  4. 60F

8 vote(s)
    16.0%
  1. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I can manage 40F and above. I shut down the engine and enjoy the silence. Though you have to be careful for sudden temperature drops. I had a situation when it dropped down to 15 .... I woke up pretty stiff. What about your tolerance; at what temp do you need to idle to generate heat?

Or turn on your Webasto or APU?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    You need to go much lower to get my vote.
    -24F (-30C) for me.

4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I maintain a temperature in that cab 24/7 with the engine. Sometimes there are food items that should not be allowed to get cold or hot.

I recall one 60 degree day up near Scranton I shut down and went ahead and killed the engine, been running hard a while. Windows open, bug screens in and bed.

The following morning I woke up sitting in snow that had blown in and ice 4 inches thick around the drives and something like 26 or so with a brisk storm wind. Now I was no where near appropriately dressed for that temperature and condition and it was COLD. Im glad she cranked because she gets a little temperamental when it's really cold. (Wet fog near the sea usually really makes it bad...)

There have been a number of times Ive gone to hibernate in dead old iron with a candle going on the floor waiting for the rescue mission to arrive during winter storms. You sort of do not go to sleep, because you might not wake up. We carried a small wood bench that went across both seats in them days.

Finally another cold incident was actually a log book problem with my famous one tank ATS tractor. Fueling two or three times a day to get anywhere. (Disgusting...) I finally ran out of hours and no way to work around it until midnight. Not only I was out of hours I had about two gallons left in the tank by stick. So I had to shut engine off in the cold. It did have a wabco heater for the sleeper and I used that. (It did good but burned more fuel we did not have...) Fuel line was about three parking spaces away and I was able to get some tankful at midnight.

Im pretty certain that if I had two tanks with that company I would not have had the constant appointment killing shorts on fuel and hours. It's ridiculous.

That's enough about this for today, Im pretty sure others have stories to tell.

TallJoe, tucker and rolls canardly Thank this.
  5. Ristow

Ristow Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2014
    Fema Region 5
    50 and 60 degrees? perfect sleeping weather. 40 i sit with the engine off even. 30 might get fired up every few hours to take chill out if its windy or something. i have no apu or anything.

TallJoe and Opus Thank this.
  6. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    Without a bunk heater I'd be idling at around 40/45.

Hurst Thanks this.
  7. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    Honestly you can stay real warm down to 0. Go to YouTube search Fortress clothing. Made in Utah. I want to get their products so bad, but not cheap.

disoba Thanks this.
  8. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    I can stay warm colder than that but I want a comfortable temp in the cab.

stwik and Tb0n3 Thank this.
  9. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Baloney, just idle the truck.( step it up to about 1000 rpm's, tho) This argument is as old as the hills. Your boss doesn't sleep in a cold room, neither should you. Years ago, you didn't dare shut a truck off. If it didn't start, the service call and being late, would far outweigh the cost for a few hours idling. Cost, about 1 gallon/hour and you'll be on time for your delivery.

stwik, Dna Mach, rank and 7 others Thank this.
  10. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    When I am home... when my boss is home.... when the company owner is home...

we all are either running heat or A/C, especially for a comfortable nights sleep. So, my boss & the company owner, allows me... to stay comfortable at night in the truck as well. They are comfortable at home with heat & air... I am comfortable at home with heat & air.... why shouldnt I be comfortable while away from home cooped up in a 4 X 6 sleeper? I'm glad I have humans who respect humans as themselves to work for.

Above 60ish... its AC, below 60ish, its usually heat... either as needed.

11. Slowpoke KW

Slowpoke KW Road Train Member

Dec 7, 2015
    OK
    I wish I could vote twice since the 50's feel warm in the spring but the 60's feel cold in the fall

Suspect Zero and tinytim Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.