Tomorrow is the big day to VGT turbo or not

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by Hulld, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    I think I am on to a cure for that god awful hissing at an idle that the ddec v engines have.
    It requires no programming.
    Been testing for a couple a weeks and it looks promising at this point.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. truck 307

truck 307 Light Load Member

Aug 11, 2014
    Change out the barometric pressure sensor for a quick fix sensor. I paid just over $100. Tells your computer you are 3000 ft or higher above sea level, which shuts off the EGR as engine needs more pure air due to air being thinner at that altitude. Therefore, the vgt doesn't lock up to force exhaust gasses recirculated to the air intake manifold.
    You can easily build one also, but I was without the time needed ,so I simply ordered one and it installs in under 2 minutes

4. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    Yea tried that a long time ago....
    You still get the hiss..
    The way I’m doing it now the truck sounds like a non VGT turbo at idle but the second you take off to drive the VGT automatically turns on.

5. truck 307

truck 307 Light Load Member

Aug 11, 2014
    The VGT will always turn on if not electronically bypassed or somewhat major rerouting of exhaust performed.
    It's the new thing. It creates bottom end boost ( lower RPM's) for more power.
    I have 2 colleges of mine who've had major alterations done, later getting caught, both lost their CVOR number and had $5500.00 fines to pay.
    I opted to leave mine as is

6. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    The way I am doing it now the VGT works as factory programmed and designed the second the truck starts to roll but NO HISS AT IDLE.
    I have done this with no altering of any programming or electronically bypassing anything and absolutely no rerouting of the exhaust in any way.
    And if if for some unknown reason I wanted to listen to that god awful hiss at idle I can make it come back in under two seconds with never leaving the drivers seat.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.