Took out a road sign on my CDL road test today...Now what?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by VinnyVincent, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Texas_hwy_287

Texas_hwy_287 Road Train Member

Sep 25, 2016
    Texas
    You might still wanna check out these places to see what they offer.

Cdl express 9800 eastex fwy
    Houston,Tx 77093 (713)6928134

Class A cdl services
    11354 eastex fwy
    Houston, Tx 77093 (281)4497834.

Give them a ring to see if you can rent their equipment.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    VinnyVincent and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    C’on the Guys just being honest. Too bad more people aren’t. Always worried about their fragile appearances. Like it really matters. Nobody cares

VinnyVincent Thanks this.
  4. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Don’t feel bad, I ran 3 yellow lights on my road test. The last one after being warned of guaranteed failure. Lol The Guy gave me a break, and still passed Me. Things happen, You didn’t hit the Car, Worst case is ticket on record.Try to fight it with a Lawyer if you can afford one. You’ll make it, and have a great story to tell. If you dare.

VinnyVincent Thanks this.
  5. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    On my road test I was instructed to make a tight right turn. I was halfway through it when I realized the trailer tandems weren’t going to make it... not on the road anyway. I bounced them fully up and over the sidewalk, the whole cab shook, no chance hoping the instructor didn’t notice.

I thought for sure I had failed and was ready to just pull over and give up but figured I might as well drive back, didn’t really even care if I messed up any more at that point.

When we got back to the school the instructor told me I had passed with the highest score he can recall giving. Like a dummy I said “But I nailed that curb”. He said, yes you did, no one could have made that turn without going up on the curb, but you didn’t panic and make the situation worse which is what counts more.

The sign got taken out but you didn’t freak out and pull some crazy move to avoid it which could have resulted in you hitting a car or a pedestrian.

6. omaharj

omaharj Bobtail Member

Jun 18, 2008
    Omaha
    VV- good luck on your next test. If it was me... I'd figure out how to get some time to go to the DMV where you'll take the test. In a car, I would follow other drivers taking their test. The routes are almost always the same. Make sure you check each tester. Different people might change the route a bit. When you know the route, you can drive it in your car and figure out where the issues are. Better yet, if you can take the rig you'll be testing in, drive the route.
    Here in Nebraska, it's a 21 point test. If you get 21 points on their scorecard, you fail. Hitting a curb is 21 points. Crossing a white line is 1 point,per incident. When I took my test, there was a bit of a hairpin right turn that many drivers failed on. I made a conscious decision to cross the white line between lanes to avoid that curb. One point wouldn't fail me. Good Luck! (BTW I HATE being tested)

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Vinny, get going.... you can do it.

By the way, don't sweat it.

The last road test I gave with a driver who has 15 years and 1.5 million miles under his belt. He was great at first, got the pre-trip done without missing anything, got the trailer hooked and dollies up, then we went out the gate,where he took out not just the sign at the corner of the street on the way out but also took out trailer I normally have my welder mounted on while backing the trailer back into the dock on the return trip. He missed the slot by eight feet.

And the amazing thing he may still be hired. My manager thinks it was nerves.

VinnyVincent and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.