Took out a road sign on my CDL road test today...Now what?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by VinnyVincent, Jan 22, 2019.

1. VinnyVincent

VinnyVincent Light Load Member

Sep 30, 2018
    So is it, or is it not legal to move partially into the left lane(once checking that it's clear) BEFORE making a right hand turn? I see a lot of videos suggesting this technique

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    What I do is not necessarily what the DMV tester would approve of anywhere. I throw my size and weight and dominate both lanes.

NO one in a car, motorcycle or bike gets to sneak past me on the right (If prior to right turn for example...) There is simply no room for them. I keep a eye on those trailer tandems and allow the tractor to take whatever space it needs even if it means backing people up. The locals know what's up if it is a shipper or receiver just a few blocks that way. They'll move. Most of the time. The stubborn ones you wait out.

VinnyVincent, Omega7777 and SteerTire Thank this.
  4. SteerTire

SteerTire Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    For test purposes, no. However, the officer giving the test may allow some tolerance. Ask that person before you start. Don’t guess!!

But as stated here in another post. It takes 3 lanes to complete a turn. So use the ENTIRE lane to set up for your turn. Get as close as possible to that left line. Then perform your button hook. Don’t over shoot it, that will force you to back up and fail.

It’s possible! They’ve ridden these routes dozens of times. They know it can be done. They wouldn’t intentionally put you in an impossible situation.

5. SteerTire

SteerTire Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    I shut down the entire employee parking lot the other day lol They we’re getting off work, I had to swing into. Little ####### shot up there trying to force me to back up. Nope! That clown and 3 others joined in the waiting game. But they all eventually back up ;)

Once I’ve committed. I own that piece of the road.

speedyk, Woodys, bryan21384 and 3 others Thank this.
  6. Omega7777

Omega7777 Medium Load Member

May 21, 2018
    i believe in the textbook, that is a dangerous manuver because 4 wheelers will get confused which direction you are turning and get in between it and would cause a wreck. if you are on a 4 lanes road (two lanes each direction), position your truck in the middle of both lanes is good setup, but again not sure if that is allow on the road test

bryan21384 and VinnyVincent Thank this.
  7. VinnyVincent

Sep 30, 2018
    I think the manual just says that it is PREFERRED to swing wide late in the turn VS early, to avoid people passing on the right. It does say that sometimes you need to swing early, though.
    I'm just going to swing late to be on the safe side and make sure I pass the test.
    I just wish we had a trailer that was shorter than 53', but I guess it is what it is.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  8. VinnyVincent

Sep 30, 2018
    Well there's been a change in plans. The lawyer just called. He said he can get the ticket deferred(not on my driving record if I pay court costs) but only
    IF I still don't have a full CDL on the court date. So now I have to wait until after he goes to court.

genchau and austinmike Thank this.
  9. Pumpkin Oval Head

Pumpkin Oval Head Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Scranton PA
    Good attorney, go for it. Many states allow traffic tickets to be diverted, or forgiven for those with a non-commercial license.
    Just remember, once you get your cdl, even a ticket driving your personal vehicle will NOT be eligible for diversion....the ticket would not go away. A speeding ticket in your car can still be downgraded, but it cannot be wiped from your record, usually.

Lucky break for you.

bryan21384, VinnyVincent and genchau Thank this.
  10. austinmike

austinmike Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Missouri
  11. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Dude, don't listen to Ridgeline, who I may add, is not perfect. Everybody screws up. Let me ask you this....what are you going to the next time you get ready to make a turn?

VinnyVincent Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.