top 5 dangerouse mountains in usa vote

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by shannon27sc, Feb 17, 2007.

1. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I don't know what the name of it but I had a heck if a time on us30 between breezewood pa and Chambersburg pa..... at 80000 and with a broken jake brake switch so no jake. That sure was fun. This was about 8 years ago maybe, when it was just recommended trucks don't use that road. Now it is not allowed. Cabbage is much worse if going west than it is going east.
    Homestake Montana is a fun one.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Hwy 70 west bound, Feather River Canyon in California. After you've run on compact snow and ice for most of the way from 395 you climb up out of the canyon and at Jarbo Gap you start down the hill to the Sacramento Valley. If it's early in the morning the shady spots will be iced up and the turn at the bottom to cross the Lake Oroville Bridge will be either wet or icy.

4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    There is a section of "Old 30" not far from Gettysburg, you will know it once you get onto it. The wheels of your steers overhang the edge to the right a bit much. There isnt much pavement to work with on that one. The newer 30 everyone uses is so much better. Just mind the traffic circles in Oxford and the steam train further east towards intercourse PA. That one is a overpass but several times a day the steam train has to pass under it covering everything in smoke as it shunts to get either freight or passengers back to east Strasbourg.

5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I think it was in Idaho and maybe part of Montana on that 90.

Spouse made that route one of her favorites. I used to age a thousand years every time we hit a curve shaded by trees at 70 downgrade. It tells me of ice that is really smooth and can put the whole thing into the snowbank higher than you are. You would think on a nice day there is no ice in the sun but those snow banks constantly leak water downslope across the road and once it hits that shade boom ice with more water coming on at a certain temp.

In eastern central Montana there is what I call Continental Divide. I am wise enough not to take it on during winter storms. I'll put her into Billings when it gets to be about a foot or more and stay to morning then run it. Hopefully after the storm front has passed taking the snows with it. Billings is interesting. Im parked across a intersection surrounded by 4 way stop signs and no traffic that night. It's all trucks on both curbs on all 4 roads. Probably the one time I ever slept a night inside a intersection during a bad storm. You would think school tells you not to do certain things well... life isnt like that sometimes.

6. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    I got through that way many winters back when they had Donner closed. What a joy. Went the orther way one summer when I had a drop in Susanville. Sure was a pretty ride that time.

REO6205 Thanks this.
  7. kemosabi49

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    US 191 in Utah off of US 6 north of Price up to Duchesne gets pretty steep and curvy. I have only ran it going up but right at 80000 in a smooth bore tank.

8. REO6205

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    I don't want to open a can of worms here but what exactly does the driver being black have to do with anything?

Lepton1 and kemosabi49 Thank this.
  9. kemosabi49

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    I was wondering that myself. Always have someone wanting to stir the pot.

REO6205 Thanks this.
  10. REO6205

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    It's beautiful country in the spring, summer, and fall. Winter, not so much. I've lived up there most of my life.
    I forgot to mention the rocks. After the first good rainfall every year the rocks start coming down the canyon walls. Some of them are huge.
    CalTrans runs rock plows up there but they don't always stay up with it. The plow drivers seem to take a lot of naps.
    You'll come around a corner and the road will be full of rocks big enough and sharp enough to take out your steer axle tires No fun at all.

11. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    Teton pass.
    191, to 163 to us89 in Az. Very interesting.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.