top 5 dangerouse mountains in usa vote

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by shannon27sc, Feb 17, 2007.

1. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Lights? Not merely reflectors?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Trucks aren't allowed where? Oh, you must mean on I-68. I was referring to where US-40, or worse, 30, goes over it.

4. truckerjaw

truckerjaw Light Load Member

Feb 6, 2007
    luckily there is a 65' single and a 70' double restriction on it now. Not that this stops anyone.

5. igor2please

igor2please Bobtail Member

Feb 27, 2007
    Anybody forget about the 5 miles or so east of Laramie, WY on I-80. What a nightmare!!!

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  6. wallbanger

wallbanger "Enemy of showers everywhere"

Nightmare, no it's a blast! Esp when you're westbound, and get to the curve and see all the carnage from the wrecked trlrs and trucks.

Eastbound, now that is tough, esp when you're heavy. I had my four ways on going up (because I was 79400 loaded) going really slow, and one driver that passed asked 'was I lost? Or was I just not sure which way I would turn at the top of the hill?':smt043

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  7. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Light Load Member

Nov 25, 2006
    "Sandstone" hill if I'm correct (after lookin at a map) is in VA on I-64 between Waynesboro and Charlottesville. Yes, yellow lights; not reflectors, are "dug" into pavement at the yellow and white shoulder lines. Surprised me first time I saw that on a clear day but oh what a godsend when foggy on that hill.

Going back a few years before I-26 was complete to Sam's Gap on TN / NC line all traffic was on US23. NC side wasn't bad but TN side was switchbacks for 1st 3-4 miles. Many a morning as a kid (the 60's) I remember the morning news saying a Big Rig jacknifed, even on dry pavement.

8. Chillwag

Chillwag Light Load Member

Nov 9, 2006
    Vancouver, Wa
    Burgess Junction and the "Oh my God Hill" US 14 alt. the decent on US 14A is posted at 10% for ten miles down the "OMG Hill" but there is an additional 4 miles of 8% grade after the 10 miles of 10%. Lovell Wy is near the bottom of the hill from the information I have. My source is "Mountain Directory West" R&R Publishing, Inc., PO Box 941 Baldwin City, Ks 66006-0941

9. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Light Load Member

Nov 25, 2006
    (Additional info on above highway); According to Rand McNally Truck Atlas that section of US14alt is closed to CMV's (info provided to them by the state of WY). And near Burchess Junction on the map it states (in small print) that it is closed in winter because of Bald Mtn / Hunt Mtn pass.

10. RiggerModus

RiggerModus Bobtail Member

Oct 30, 2006
    I've had my CDL less than two weeks. My first run was over Elk Pass on I-80 in a blizzard. I've done it 4X so far, in horrible weather each. I didn't find it so bad. People just run these things too fast. You know: "You can descend a mountain grade too slow a thousand times. You can only run one too fast once."

I did Parley's Canyon (I-80 south to Salt Lake City)in a horrible storm a week ago. The sign said "PARLEY'S CANYON CLOSED," but traffic kept flowing, so I did , too. I was chained ... lots of traffic bottled up for several miles, 4-wheelers spun out and spinning ... white knuckels all the way:biggrin_2554:

Don't forget Floyd Hill, folks; I-70 eastbound into Denver. There ain't a snowstorm passes that you don't see several jacknifed semi's on that stretch, in spite of the signs.

11. eighteenspdjammer

eighteenspdjammer Bobtail Member

Feb 23, 2008
    western pennsylvania
    E-6 I'm surprised you didn't mention down past the Ship on 30 between Somerset and Bedford counties in Pennsylnania and I'm sure you know ehere I mean. The Ship Hotel has burned down now but from there you can see down into maryland and west virgina and a total of seven counties.
    There is no runaway lanes but a lot of 9% drop and i seen a number of them fall over on the hairpin down by the shot factory but it ain't over yet from there it's another 1000 feet down to get to Shellsberg.
    :mshocked:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.