top 5 dangerouse mountains in usa vote

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by shannon27sc, Feb 17, 2007.

1. ironeagle2006

ironeagle2006 Road Train Member

My top 5 1. Cabbage for sure SOB will bite you in the ##### if you do not watch out. 2 is a Combo of 4th of July and LOOK OUT on I-90 slicker than hell in the winter with clear ice and then in the summer look out for Rocks in the road at times also. 3 Monteagle seen WAY TO MANY IDIOTS LOOSE IT ON THAT ONE. 4. Black Mountain you forget it is there then oh CRAP. Last one is Cumberland Gap on 68.

Now for a Trainee of mine Parley has a special meaning since he almost ended up being Thrown out of the truck at speed on there but when you scream we are going to die as you throw the truck in Neutral with your trainer in the bunk what do you expect. He ended up getting out at Sapps and went to drive for ENGLAND.

BillStep Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    Why was the trainer in the bunk?:biggrin_2554:

4. ironeagle2006

ironeagle2006 Road Train Member

Called he had been with me for 3 weeks was in his 3 month of Training and was 1 week away from being a Quailfied Second seat. We were doing a Team run to see if he could handle the responsiblity of doing it. HE FAILED BIG TIME. I was a finish trainer and if they failed me they were out at the company. I got rid of bad habits the other trainer had given them or the driver was GONE. 4 out of 5 drivers that went withme FAILED. I refused to be a rubber stamp and told the owner and Personal manager that I would train them right or NOT AT ALL.

5. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    If I was a trainer and esp going down a mountain grade I would want to be within clubbing distance of the trainee...:yes2557:

6. SeaPea

SeaPea Light Load Member

Feb 15, 2010
    Carlsbad, CA
    I would say Cabbage / Emigrant Hill definitely. Saw too many drivers at the bottom with their brakes smoking or on fire outright.

7. shooter19802003

shooter19802003 Road Train Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Idaho
    There are none. Gear down before you halfway down the mountain! Which means slowdown and gear down before you start down. Use your jakes and you never have to touch the brake. I always pick a gear where I have to switch between 2 and 3 on my jakes. Never have to touch the brakes.

8. Kansas

Kansas Road Train Member

Apr 14, 2009
    aircap, Ks.
    I flippin hate Monarch Pass. Its not that bad, unless its snowing but they are always so late in putting up the "chains required" signs.

Wolfe Creek has put the hurt on many a driver. But, I know of no more beautiful a place on planet earth. I remember the first time I ever ran it. I thought "I wanna go up there" pointing to where I could see vehicles way way wayyyyyy up. Before I knew it I thought "OMG I am going up there oh crap" LOL

9. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    K2 and Denali.

striker Thanks this.
  10. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    I'd vote for Cabbage. Went down my first time weighing 78,000+ plus with a trainer who spent the whole time screming at me to go faster faster faster. Truck got away from me, brakes smoked out. Thank God the other drivers in front of me saw what was going on and got out of my way. Got the truck to the bottom, and managed to pull off at that truck stop down past the bottom of the pass. Got out, checked the brakes for fire, and proceeded to beat three kinds of snot out of my trainer. Needless to say, I was off that trainer's truck within two days. I kept my job, trainer was fired immediately upon entering the yard in Fontana, CA. I have no idea to this day how I kept that truck upright. On the upside, a few other drivers who pulled in behind me to teach me a lesson in safety complimented me on driving ability once they found out what went on in the truck.

11. SeaPea

SeaPea Light Load Member

Feb 15, 2010
    Carlsbad, CA
    That's about the same weight I went down at the first time and I was solo, myself. Talk about a rush.. just thinking about it gets me stoked. I was based out of Fontana too. What carrier were you with?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.