Top loaded antennas for Cascadia

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by nredfor88, Mar 8, 2021.

1. OldeSkool

OldeSkool Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Arkansas
    Do you know what the name of the thread is? Maybe it wouldn’t help me, but I have a mount above my passenger door where the little mirror used to be and every time I key up the red ant light comes on. Trying to figure out what to do.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mike5511

mike5511 Road Train Member

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    Cascadia Antenna Solutions
    I think my pictures are on about page 5 or 6. I tried about every antenna you could and the 7ft SkipShooter won the competition. It did flop around a lot, so I made a brace for it. The brace had no effect on the antenna. I drove a different truck every week. The setup you'll see there worked the same on all of them. I still got the mount, but I don't think it will fit the 2018s and up. I'd give it to somebody that could use it.

Meteorgray, nredfor88 and OldeSkool Thank this.
  4. nredfor88

nredfor88 Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2019
    USA
    I’m just looking for the best I can reasonably do, single or dual doesn’t matter to me from a visual or preconceived preference. I’ll definitely take a look at your thread. I’m trying to get as much input as possible to do it right the first time. From my research to this point, duals appeared to be the best solution based on their radiating pattern, forward to rear. But I know there is debate and camps that are firmly on one side or the other.

5. jdchet

jdchet Medium Load Member

Sep 3, 2012
    NE Ohio
    I have been running one antenna, driver's side, for many years with success. Now, back in the day older trucks were much more forgiving installing antenna systems. Today's trucks can be a bear to get them right! Adding another antenna into the mix is liable to take the fun out of it for very little noticeable gain in performance. The added risk to your antenna system with a passenger side antenna getting wacked by roadside trees just isn't worth it in my book.

JD

6. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Duels is more work for the small amount if any gain...For the gain you do get is mostly foward and behind...With single ant your more of a full circle rf pattern..Mind you there will be some deflect cause of your cab or trailer blocking some signal..

jdchet Thanks this.
  7. splunkr

splunkr Bobtail Member

May 17, 2020
    Running dual antenna can increase the symmetry of your transmission pattern but it significantly increases the complexity of tuning with very little gain in real performance. As already mentioned it also means using the proper impedance for each cable and making sure you match cable length for left and right.
    And do not coil extra cable. That will create additional RF issues and interference.

Last edited: May 12, 2021
    Meteorgray Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.