Tornado Outbreak In Nebraska,Iowa & Texas

Discussion in 'Truckers' Weather & Road Conditions' started by mjd4277, Apr 26, 2024.

1. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

2. TexasRiverRat

TexasRiverRat Light Load Member

Sep 4, 2021
    We were under a tornado warning today, and my kids' boss actually called and told them not to come to work. The wife, kids, and In-laws all went into the shelter, but I stayed outside and never saw anything concerning.

It's amazing to me how selective a tornado can be. There was a small one about 15 miles away from the house, but we didn't even get rain today. Watching the radar, the storm just split before it got to us.

mjd4277 Thanks this.
  3. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    The omaha area hasn't had a significant tornado since 1975 so we were long overdue .

cdavis188 and mjd4277 Thank this.
  4. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    About a month and half ago I had to warn my mother,aunt and my brothers because of a couple of nighttime tornadoes paid a visit to the Chicagoland area (Kane County near Aurora and Batavia-where my mother lives and up near Sleepy Hollow-where my other brother lives,West Dundee and Carpentersville).
    About a month and a half before that two tornadoes touched down within 10 miles of Elgin (one hit near the west side of the city). The last time that area had any significant tornado like that was the Palm Sunday tornado outbreak of 1920. Tomorrow is going to be Round 2,today was just the opening act!

Last Call, bzinger and TexasRiverRat Thank this.
  5. TexasRiverRat

TexasRiverRat Light Load Member

Sep 4, 2021
    I think it was '97 or '98 that Jarrell, TX got hammered by an F5. Waco got hit pretty hard sometime in the '50's.

Me and Pop out ran one twenty years ago in an old square body Chevy. We were in a camper and decided that wasn't the place to be. Came back after the storm and our windmill was gone, the water trough was in the coastal patch, one barn was laying on the ground. But that camper was still standing.

mjd4277 and bzinger Thank this.
  6. mjd4277

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    Jarrell a.k.a. The Dead Man Walking!!
    1997 Central Texas tornado outbreak - Wikipedia

Waco got hit in May 1953
    1953 Waco tornado outbreak - Wikipedia

TexasRiverRat and bzinger Thank this.
  7. bzinger

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    This will become more commen as omaha continues its sprawl west , we already arnt far from Lincoln being an omaha suburb .

mjd4277 Thanks this.
  8. mjd4277

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    I know,it’s only about 54 miles between both cities.
    When I lived in Elgin it was just barely a Chicago suburb (only 42 miles to the Loop,28 miles to O’Hare). Usually the severe weather that hits the area would strike the South or Southwest Suburbs,in particular around Will County near Joliet,but every once in awhile,give or take a decade or two Mother Nature would throw a curve ball!

bzinger Thanks this.
  9. bzinger

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Can never say never ...one Saturday afternoon I was sitting at the bronx market chilling out until Monday morning when a tornado hit not far away in Massapequa....blew and hailed like hell in the bronx too.

mjd4277 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.