Total NOOB question

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by rpgaent, Jan 21, 2018.

1. rpgaent

rpgaent Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2018
    Hi there,

Not sure if this is the right place and please don't kill me if it is not. I have a good friend whom has been driving truck for 20 yrs, he has driven for a tank line company before (well known). I have the opportunity to basically, buy a truck, put him in it and split the income 38% gross with him. I have a couple of questions;
    • I do not have a CDL, but will need to get the truck to the terminal from where ever we buy it from, so I need insurance, etc for it. Where can I can insurance to bridge this small gap between the purchase and "lease on" time at the tank line?
    • We both want to spell everything out in writing so that nobody has an misconceptions about anything, we basically are doing the following;
    1. split gross of load pay 38% to him, 62 to truck
    2. split detention, overweight, etc 50/50
    3. truck pays fuel / fixes
    4. Driver signs 2 yrs commitment to me, after 12 months he can buy truck for book value, after 24 the truck is signed over to him.
    We are in total agreement with regard to how trucks are maintained, and what our philosophy is about operations and such. My main issue is that I don't have my CDL A but I plan to get it so that in an emergency, I can drive the rigs. I am looking for thoughts advice on this. Especially the insurance question after buying.

Has anyone ever done this, or something close? Pros and cons? Am I completely crazy?

Thanks in advance,

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PoleCrusher

PoleCrusher Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    LLMF
    Don't go into business with friends

Leased my truck out to a company, have made NO money so far.

Jmans, jammer910Z, mudflap77 and 10 others Thank this.
  4. easytopleez33

easytopleez33 Light Load Member

Jan 6, 2015
    PPDCT, LGarrison and Tb0n3 Thank this.
  5. rpgaent

rpgaent Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2018
    Okay to amend; If you are going to tell me "Don't go into business with friends", please don't reply. I am looking for actual responses. Sadly, it appears that there have been people that get "pimped" on business dealings and that is unfortunate. But when structured correctly with all the Ts crossed and I's dotted, there is a great opportunity here. I read the "I leased my truck......" thread and that is a prime example of someone going in with ZERO knowledge about how things work and what questions to ask. I know for a fact there are success stories out there and those are the ones I want to hear.

Thank you,

easytopleez33 Thanks this.
  6. easytopleez33

easytopleez33 Light Load Member

Jan 6, 2015
    Well, best of luck to you!!

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  7. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Just go ahead and do it if you made up your mind. You either gonna lose money, lose friend, both, or make money and keep a friend. Give it a try and see what happens.
    Sometimes the craziest ideas work out and the most solid plans fail

supremegod, IluvCATS and Ruthless Thank this.
  8. PoleCrusher

PoleCrusher Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    LLMF
    LOL, you admit your a "Total NOOB", in the title of the thread. You don't even have a CDL, you have a so called business idea that amounts to you buying your "friend" a truck while paying him a very high percentage. Meanwhile, the truck that you own will be getting the short end of the stick while you lose you ### on the deal.... good luck with that.

Bean Jr., Aamcotrans, pattyj and 3 others Thank this.
  9. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Hate to break this to you, you posted it in an open forum and you get the replies as the members see fit to reply.

My reply is this - do not go into business with any freinds.

No way, shape or form does a partnership with friends usually work out when one is not in the profession.

And this too.

First you can not tie him up under contract for two years. Forget the giving of the truck too.

Second it is better to have a 60/40 split with the larger number going to the person who is paying the fuel and fuel taxes.

Third it is your responsibility to maintain the truck, so if you buy cheap crap and it breaks down, you will have to deal with it quickly by tapping your reserves or just shut down.

Fourth you have a long way to go with the business end of things. Don't post that you know business or this one, you don't by the question/advice you are asking for.

Fifth you can't just jump in the truck in case of an emergency, there is a lot more to this than just the truck.

Six if you are going to have your own authority, expect huge insurance costs, this is a high risk business and it is reflected by the costs of insurance.

Seven many will justifiably ask if he has 20 years experience, why doesn't he get his own truck?

I do this for a living, I know a lot about what can be done and what can't be, what is set up as a failure and what isn't, so there is a crap load of red flags here and it is best not to go into a business like this without practical experience either as a driver or as a owner.

10. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    If I'm reading this right....The company you're goin with is only paying 62% of the gross.....That's awful low in my book....what else if anything are they payin for? Plates...Insurance....IFTA....fuel discount/surcharge....Whose trl is it?
    Way I look at it chances are 62% won't cover your operating costs....there 38% of minus nothing....well you do the math

jammer910Z, TripleSix and HalpinUout Thank this.
  11. rpgaent

rpgaent Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2018
    OK, I can live with this reply. Sorry to those whom I offended, that was not the intention and reading my post over, I can see where I came off as knowing.
    • We would not be running under our authority, it will be the authority of the tank line.
    • It seems that 38% is high according to some replies, what is a more respectable percent (from the the standpoint of the truck owner).
    • I do not plan to buy a POS truck and throw someone into it. I understand that trucks require a Sh1t ton of maintenance and now they are taken care of, ultimately will spell your success or doom.
    • This is basically a 60/40 split, I, the truck, is basically getting 62% of the load. Unless yur 60/40 split is referencing "everything including detention, etc"
    • I do know business, but not the trucking business apparently. I am looking to be schooled a bit on it.
    Well, I would like to gather more info and this is a great reply and I appreciate it.

Have a great day,

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.