Tourists

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by starmac, Sep 18, 2019.

1. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    You just have to love tourists. One pulled up and talked to my swamper last night while he was chaining me up, then pulled his little car around and parked right on the bumper of my trailer.
    I had to watch him close while I backed up on the chains.

When He got back in the truck I ask what was going on, and I guess he had already went most of the way up atigun before he spun around and came back down.
    he originally ask when the weather would get better so he could get back across the pass with his car. lol
    My swamper told him the best bet was to follow us up in the chain tracks, but stay well back, because if we spun out, we may be sliding back and it happens back.
    The guy stayed at least 5 feet back, I could never see his headlights, even on the south side coming down. I was afraid he would lose traction and run into me. lol

You just have to love tourists.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Even if he did lose traction and ran into you, it would be good for him to stay on you all the way down rather than off the eastern slope.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  4. nickto21

nickto21 Light Load Member

Feb 10, 2012
    seattle
    I was at a truckstop once where there were a bunch of tourists walking around taking pics of of trucks and drivers. I think they were german. They must have truckstops in Germany as well. Not sure what their excitement was about.
    Steve

5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Maybe they thought they were in a zoo.

kylefitzy, Opendeckin, x1Heavy and 9 others Thank this.
  6. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I have had my picture took at several truckstops down south, mostly by japanese. last week at cold foot a tour bus pulled in and 5 different women and one man took my picture, not sure where they were from.

D.Tibbitt, FlaSwampRat and x1Heavy Thank this.
  7. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    We have some Germans here from Germany. It is good to hear their language spoken as natives from their homeland. gives me a chance to add a couple of words and stop butchering others words when they quit wiping tears and laugh it off. To be fair some of the english is worked on as well.

Germany has some serious structural problems. In its proper time they will either reassert themselves and culture or lose it and become something else. I think they will reassert themselves.

Once in a great while a mother or father would have a child with him or her you could tell that the kid has not been around the big scary rigs so its time to introduce them. Set up the tyke in the drivers seat. Easy up on the air easy down. Let the kid rev the big engine a little bit. (Shes aint going anywhere...) maybe do even a little parking lot backing from the shop with the parent on the pax seat. Put it in low, come out of the shop and were rolling. Kids got the wheel. at 3 am in a dead truckstop and 20 acres to pick from Im pretty sure we aint hitting nothing.

But Bosses? eh.. they are best off staying in bed. The less they know the better we all are for it.

However...

I am incredibly watchful and cautious. That truck contains pretty much everything including cash and so on. And it would be quite the ruse for a robbery or whatever it is. However... you can generally tell the shy kid is wanting to see about it.

I think those days are gone. we have lost alot with truckstops going away in my lifetime.

D.Tibbitt and NavigatorWife Thank this.
  8. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    No, I have no love for tourons.

9. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Germans from Germany. Hmmm.

D.Tibbitt, CowboyTim, tscottme and 4 others Thank this.
  10. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I left it as it was when I wrote that.

I am having fun with that concept. =)

D.Tibbitt, tscottme and kemosabi49 Thank this.
  11. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    In Europe there's only cab overs. They have nothing like the long nose Pete's.

D.Tibbitt, FlaSwampRat and x1Heavy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.