Tower Hill Truck Stop Closed - Ignace,ON

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by uncleal13, Jul 11, 2018.

1. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    I grew up in Ontario, use to truck cross county. I’ve only trucked out west on the prairies for the last ten years.
    Just came through Northern Ontario on the way to Newfoundland with my holiday trailer. I couldn’t believe the number of old truck stops that have all closed up,
    But it does make sense. In 1978 I knew a trucker that made $48,000 driving for Radio Shack. A breakfast at Tower Hill or the one half way down the hill south of Wawa was under $2.00
    Now drivers still earn close to $48k but breakfast is now over $12.00 so we resort to eating in our trucks using fridges, microwaves, etc and many drivers using truck stop facilities don’t spend a dime inside.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Did they block off the big parking lot yet?

They used to make a pretty good burger there. I don't remember that restaurant being particularly expensive. Husky on the other hand is way overpriced now. I like me some restaurant food, but when a simple meal is in the 20-25 range.... no thanks....
    I try to spend a few bucks wherever I park for my breaks. Husky gets my fuel dollars so I don't feel bad not spending anything inside. The big corporate chains I don't have any issue occupying a spot and spending $0. But I use the small truck stops for the most part.

Canadianhauler21 Thanks this.
  4. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    Parking lot is still open at the moment.

5. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Hope they keep it open. Although I'm sure it will quickly turn into a large garbage receptacle and will ultimately be blocked off. Not a lot of options as it is out that way.

uncleal13 Thanks this.
  6. oriden953

oriden953 Light Load Member

Jul 6, 2012
    winnipeg, MB
    saw that two weeks ago was wondering how long it had been. been inside a few times the store wanted an arm and a leg for snacks. i remember the restaurant was average price and food.

i often wounder why some of these places stay with off brand fuel. if you turned some of them to flying J fuel they would likely survive, or at least stand a better chance then just running off smokes and rockstar.

this is a huge hit to the already stressed parking situation.

the BBQ joint in vermilion bay that burnt is also blocked off.

Glroia's hotel in Hemlo has been shut down for a while now, that used to be to arnold brothers what white river is to bison.

dam shame.

tinytim and uncleal13 Thank this.
  7. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    30 years ago there was 3 24 hour truckstops with full restaurant between Thunder Bay and Dryden
    Now there are none
    Utralmar at Upsala burnt
    Viking at Dinorwic burnt
    Tempo at Ignace... lights are still on but nobody home

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    dunchues Thanks this.
  8. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    It’s been closed at least 6 weeks rumours were someone was buying it but sign says for sale

9. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    I stopped there a couple times back in January and February on my way through Ontario. They closed before I even had a chance to try out the restaurant. They even had free wifi in the parking lot.

I think the biggest problem is that truck drivers don't actually patronize the store/restaurant these days, they just buy fuel, go blow their noses in the sinks and spray water bottles all over their rear ends in the bathrooms while leaving their trash outside their trucks on the ground.

It's no wonder people don't want to open new truck stops, they know they won't be respected.

10. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On

Yes,, Husky in Dryden parking lot packed every night and the restaurant quit staying open 24 hours 20 years ago. No doubt the truck parking at Walmart in Dryden is a cesspool of human waste

Zeviander and uncleal13 Thank this.
  11. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    Petro Pass just down the back lane from Husky almost never fills completely up. I've got there as late as 10:30pm and found a spot in the lineup.

It's less than 10 minutes walking from the Husky and McDonald's.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.