Towing rating vs GVW

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by ka5pfb, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Ramblin' Redneck

Ramblin' Redneck Medium Load Member

Apr 18, 2010
    So.IL

You may not get in trouble at the scales...but have a wreck with a trailer heavier than the truck manufacturer recommends and the lawyers will eat you alive. There is a LOT that goes into coming up with the GVWR and tow ratings...including engine, transmission, drive axles/gear ratio, suspension, and brakes. Exceeding either the manufacturer's recommendation OR the legal weight limit can be used as evidence of negligence in the event of a wreck.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ramblin' Redneck

Apr 18, 2010
    So.IL

beep-beep.

[​IMG]

:laughing6:

4. Spock

Spock Bobtail Member

Apr 10, 2010
    Beaumont,TX
    ACME trucking is not a manufacturer, we have no control over how the customer uses the products we deliver.

5. Ramblin' Redneck

Apr 18, 2010
    So.IL

Sorry...I've got an ACME hitch on my F250, too...can't help but think of them old roadrunner cartoons whenever I hear "Acme" anything.

6. ka5pfb

ka5pfb Light Load Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Lake Charles, LA
    Looks like I will be able to get plenty of good advice from you guys. Hopefully soon I will have more answers than questions. Right now I'm scraping to find out all I can before I commit to this new profession.

I did work in the Oil Field for 3 years in the late 70's. I had the commercial drivers license then working for Dresser Atlas as a logging engineer. They have changed things since then. Now I have to find out how to get the class A CDL.

7. Spock

Spock Bobtail Member

Apr 10, 2010
    Beaumont,TX
    I love those cartoons and got a kick out of seeing it. I have even thought about putting something like that on the side of my truck. Every Acme driver gets to hear that, and thats what came to mind with me as soon as I started talking to them. The coyote is one determined individual lol.

8. ka5pfb

ka5pfb Light Load Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Lake Charles, LA
    Yep, that was one of my favorite cartoons too. Beep Beep!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.