Toying with this idea

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by mike5511, May 21, 2023.

1. '88K100

'88K100 Road Train Member

Aug 23, 2020
    There is no ground strap on bed. Bed is grounded but a proper ground strap makes a world of difference. I learned this while doing a frame off build on 40’s pickup and was having issues with tail lights. Even back then there was rubber pads between frame and box bed.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    These trucks don't have an RF ground, having a DC ground is a bit different.

The last early truck I owned had wood on the frame where the bed was mounted to. Pretty good insulator, the tail light had a ground wire running with the brake and running light.

4. mike5511

mike5511 Road Train Member

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    That's an idea, but the bed is too close to the cab on my truck. Not only is the gap narrow, but there is a piece on the roof with the 3rd brake light that juts out nearly to the bed. There would only be a 1/2" space at the roof line, plus, I'm wanting to use the 102". Mounting the base at the roof line would be too high, and mounting it at the bed that close to the cab wouldn't be good either. Any antenna I've ever had that worked decent on the bed rail, I mounted about 2' back from the cab. (I want this antenna in the middle of the vehicle, so not going the bed rail route) I've never had success mounting an antenna on the toolbox, but I've never tried bonding the toolbox to the bed either. And those toolboxes were screwed to the frame metal to metal. On this new truck, the box is setting on plastic and just clamped to the bed rail. It will take 3 or 4 bonding straps to get the rf ground needed I'm sure. I'm going to try my idea and check it at that point then go to the frame if needed. I do believe, to be effective when bonding bed to frame, you need to do so at all four corners. I've tried one bonding strap from bed to frame before and it didn't make enough difference to be worth the effort.

5. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Performance is measured by horizontal sheet metal directly underneath the antenna.
    I see lots of common mode current problems by deliberately not using the roof. A magnet on the roof outperforms a 102 on the bumper any day of the week

6. mike5511

mike5511 Road Train Member

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    I'm not using a magnet mount, well, never say never, but not in the plan. Besides, it won't go in the garage unless I take it off every time.....and I'm lazy. And, I'm not mounting in on the bumper. If I can get the toolbox and bed bonded well enough, the 102" will be right at the middle of the whole truck and far enough from the back of the cab to perform pretty good, I think?

7. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Anything other than the roof should perform Pretty awful in comparison

8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I had mine behind the cab, mounted between the cab and bed on a mount that elevated the antenna. It worked great, the pattern just had a very very small null point and served me well.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.