TQL - "What kind of a rate would you need to make that work?"

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by DocG, Aug 20, 2012.

1. sjmay

sjmay Light Load Member

Nov 12, 2011
    LOL really? no seriously, really?

No offense but it's like you guys make up stories just to have something to swap ffs.

A broker didn't give you a load because they didn't owe you enough money, really? Nothing more to that at all eh? You just called up and asked about the load, wanted it, and they said nope, can't have it, we aren't in debt heavy enough to you?

Sorry if I call BS.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ela

ela Light Load Member

Jan 22, 2013
    Really. seriously, reaaly.
    I book most of the loads with TQL, have a really good relationship with them, they give me very good rates and never had a problem with them. I actually just booked another load with them. In this instance that is exatly what he told me. He actually said customer service wouldn't let me book it because you don't have enough funds in. I was as surprised as you are.

4. Billyjack

Billyjack Light Load Member

Oct 3, 2008
    London, KY
    Ela, maybe you should have ask TQL what is the purpose of your cargo insurance. Other then that I don`t know what they would be thinking. :biggrin_25511:

5. ela

ela Light Load Member

Jan 22, 2013
    yeah, you are right. I should have. Anyway, I think he made me a favor by telling me this. Now I am far more careful of the product I haul. Let me tell you abou this starnge load: I was stuck in Ma, the load was a load of cherries from CT (pretty close) to Tx. Now, I have hauled cherries from CA to MA ot TX to MA, never any such product from Ct to TX. My uneducated guess is that they were tyrying to sell a refused product as a good one, and just in case get the carrier to pay for it. Would the broker have told me this if I had enough funds? Don't know, probably not.
    I have no problem with TQL reading out of a script, adding pick ups and drops along the way as long as they pay me for it. Such a big company will have a few sloppy brokers trying to make an extra buck. There are many trustfull brokers there too. Because the broker said that the department wouldn't let him book the load, it shows that this is not the case of a bad broker, but of bad company culture. And that is troubling.

6. BoyWander

BoyWander Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2011
    Michigan
    So you're saying that they wanted you to take the load of (maybe) spoiled cherries, and when it would be refused by the customer in TX, they'd blame you for it and go after your cargo insurance to pay for it?

7. ela

ela Light Load Member

Jan 22, 2013
    Well, yes, this is my guess. That is the only reason I can think of. Reading back the posts someone else talked about this too. It might have happened to someone else.
    It is harder from the brokers to collect from insurance claims,it takes time to process the claim, especially when you can provide proof that you service the reefer regurarly, or provide something from the mechanick that it is working properly. It is easier for them to keep it from the funds you have in. ASlthough illegal, by the time you take it to court and resolve it and all the court expenses, you probably end up with less money. Still a win for them.
    That is the only reason I can come up with.
    What I just said about the insurance process, is from my experience on trying to collect on a brokers fund from a broker who stoped picking up the phone (later went bankrupt) as well as from reading other posts related to this.
    Again, this is only my guess. The only think I know for sure, is what the broker told me, the rest is me trying to figure it out.

8. 2hellandback

2hellandback Heavy Load Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Blackfoot Idaho
    Did i tell ya TQL is one of the 2 best customers i have!!!!!

9. wonderdog24

wonderdog24 Medium Load Member

Mar 1, 2012
    Puyallup,Wa
    Not doubting that he said that to you...But there are a lot of things wrong here....

1. Any previous load has nothing to do with a future load...Cleans Bills means I get paid...NO QUESTIONS ASKED...
    2. Never haul a produce load that isn't from the region unless you're near a entry point... Nogales-Mcallen etc...
    3. If they refuse to pay you for a previous load with a clean B.O.L due to claim with a future load... Simply contact the Bonding Company.... Clean Bills means I get Paid... No ?? asked

TQL actually did this to a friend... He ended up beating them in court..

serjev Thanks this.
  10. dbny5000

dbny5000 Light Load Member

Dec 24, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Sheesh. Alllllll of these posts and nobody has thought to say: Let's round up everybody we possibly can who's been financially harmed by TQL and SUE THE COMPANY in a CLASS ACTION.

Cuz guess what? That's what TQL deserves.

We, too, know all about the loads that the brokers assure you are yours, only to have them "cancelled" after we deadhead 50 or 100 miles to pick them up. That costs money, and I've never gotten a TONU outta these guys.

When I post my truck, I say "No calls from TQL, please" in the comments. And I NEVER call TQL. Yes, the other posters are right, too, about how they post loads that are NOWHERE near the load they really need to move. Example: They have a load in Sacramento. They'll post the load in Reno, San Francisco, Stockton, Modesto and so on, so that they can suck in massive volumes of quotes from the cheapest possible truck. And when you call on the San Francisco or Stockton load, the usual response is, "Oh, that one's covered. But I DO have one in Sacramento ..." All hot air, and all unethical, scheming, low-down, rotten TQL crap. And, yeah. DAT OUGHT to be whacking them.

Who's with me on the suit?

BoyWander, old time and DThompsonNGI Thank this.
  11. E.S.A.D

E.S.A.D Light Load Member

Jan 31, 2013

There is true at both ends of the situation, and I know because I am involved in BOTH the trucking side and in the brokerage side. Yes, there are brokers that will bug the heck out of you instead of just providing you with the information and let you do your job. In a perfect world this should work.

What sometimes drivers/trucking companies seem to ignore is the fact that many people over book their trucks, completely ignore pickup appointments and/or will flat out lie to you and drop your load for a better paying one with a long list of idiotic excuses. I don't want to waste my time seeing reminders every 5 minutes in my computer screen to call this guy picking my load in Waco TX at 1900, but by calling I get to find out he's not going to get empty in Houston until 2100 and he'll be 6-8 hours late to my customer. Shoo, how about the one that also happened to miss his delivery appointment and wont be empty at all until the next day, causing him to miss my load altogether?

Most larger customers requiring EDI will keep giving you millions of dollars in business or dropping you altogether simply based in your score cards. So remember your 45 minute late show up might cost many peoples their jobs when you happen to lose a big account due to service failures.

On the other side, I've dealt with many companies that will flat out make fake rate confirmations or any other garbage move to fit their needs and care nothing about the trucker. I had a company made me layover two of my drivers on the same night to pick a load the following morning, only to tell me the next morning "oh sorry, my customer just cancelled the loads" and being so crappy to do it to me twice within a week!! but allowed by my stupidity. Didn't happen again. Sometimes, I think that everyone is as ethical as I try to be on a daily cases, but it is not the case.

BoyWander Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.