TQL - "What kind of a rate would you need to make that work?"

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by DocG, Aug 20, 2012.

1. izifaddag

izifaddag Medium Load Member

Apr 26, 2010
    There was a reason

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Please explain

4. izifaddag

Apr 26, 2010
    My business nobody elses.

5. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    I wouldn't move something across the street for $276. What a waste of time, even if it only took an hour. Not worth it.

6. BoyWander

BoyWander Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2011
    Michigan
    But if you did, assuming the trip was like a quarter mile, you can tell everyone you got over a thousand dollars a mile!

7. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I used to waste a lot of time on $400 and $500 loads for my dry van when I first started out and didnt know any better. It's a $1,000 minimum to book my reefer and I don't care if it goes across the steet. I will book my van for less but the circumstances have to be just right and the load is something I know.

trees and BoyWander Thank this.
  8. izifaddag

Apr 26, 2010
    i TRIED TO FIND THE RATE CONFIRMATION TO DOUBLE CHECK MY NUMBER BUT i CAN'T FIND IT.
    Oops sorry for the caps.
    I agree with what you say and if it had gone smoothly it would have been fine. All it was, if memory serves, was to pay for fuel from Shawnee to Fort Worth.
    I desperately needed to be in TX to take care of some legal stuff as in yesterday. I was new with that lease on and it was a jumping from hot foot to hot foot deal thanks to a surprise surprise from Landstar.
    It was a TQL load which normally I would have refused and secondly I was trying to make nice with the new leasee. I needed to 'impress' a little bit. That rankled but I had to do it.
    It was a ludicrous situation and I was furious that it took so long to get loaded. It started ok and then when into the night.
    A simple trip as a means to an end turned into an emergency logbook out the window deal.
    They loaded half the trailer and left me there. The classic 'using the trailer as a warehouse' sketch. I complained, stomped around and made angry phone calls.
    Don't worry you'll get detention, I get it from them all the time........
    I'll get you layover pay, I get it from them all the time.........
    All BS of course and I knew it but I was stuck. In the end I told them to take their crap off my trailer I was leaving. TQL called, blah, blah, blah.
    The only good part of this was at the delivery end it was smooth as silk.
    Trouble is you that you tell a tale such as this saying there are good reasons and people on this forum want you to give your life story to justify what you did, like you were an idiot or something.
    It is why I have avoided explaining as I have in this post. I have some time now so I have explained.
    Here are some conclusions. Firstly I will never lease onto anyone ever again. I have just done 3 in a row - each a problem in its own way. I don't care to 'impress' anyone - my driving record stands by itself. Another point is TQL. I hate these people. I have hated them since I was in NY and they gave me a load where the dock manager asked me for a check!!! Something to do with a client not paying them. Wasted fuel. More trouble with TQL than all the other brokers I have ever dealt with.
    So that is the background. I heartily agree with your feelings and under different circumstances wouldn't have even dreamed of taking this load. What can I say you are right.

HopeOverMope and trees Thank this.
  9. rollin coal

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    [​IMG]

You need a new name your price tool.

SL3406, BoyWander and PPDCT Thank this.
  10. Seirsy

Seirsy Bobtail Member

Feb 20, 2018
    It’s Amazing how everyone on here knows the inter workings of TQL..... yet no one is on the same page.

You won’t get anywhere when your making decisions based off of opinion alone.

I agree TQL is a terrible, terrible company. Just ask some of their ex employees. Think it’s tough driving for them? Imagine working for them.

6wheeler Thanks this.
  11. rollin coal

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Knowing the bad habits of some individuals at TQL you as a carrier/driver need to use your thinking cap to distinguish between a TQL rep that's serious and one that seems a tad sketchy. Ask questions and lots of them. Due diligence.

If you've been doing this even for a little while you know what "red flag speak" is from brokers. Fast talkers. People that don't answer questions clearly. People that gloss over things they obviously don't even know answers to. You ought to know when you're talking to a TQL rep that means legitimate business and is trying to sell you a good load and one that is a complete flake.

You look at every complaint with TQL (really any broker) and I can promise you the carrier/driver ignored some obvious and blatant red flags booking a load they should have passed on. I've done it myself. And that doesn't excuse bad business but sometimes we can be our own worst enemy.

That said I find it amusing when someone expects me to join in on their "don't book with TQL" protest. If you don't want to book with them that's fine by me. I have brokers I won't book with under any circumstance but TQL is not one them.

Years ago I got burned by them and blocked their number. So I do get it. I got over it though.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    Reason for edit: Last paragraph added
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.