Tracking the ‘Murder Hornet’

Discussion in 'Other News' started by Chinatown, May 2, 2020.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    It is.

Bees are a community. They will adapt.

I already don't like the #### things. I think God was drunken one night creating a evil wasp such as that. God knows it takes too much work to prefect the thing so... the Bees will take care of it. Hopefully.

The problem I have with it is apparently it stays warm in a washington state winter. And procreate. Its going to run wild in our USA. I don't know of any natural predator big enough to snack on them. There is usually a balance in nature.

Upinsmoke, D.Tibbitt and 25(2)+2 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    Minnesota, too.

Upinsmoke, D.Tibbitt and slim shady Thank this.
  4. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    Africanized honeybees cant come farther north. That murder hornet lives on the thorax of bees.

I was out weeding flowers, and the bumblebees were working. I'm not allergic, so they don't worry me, much.

Late in the fall, before freezeup, the paper wasps will sometimes buzz you if you're wearing bright red. They don't sting when they're trying to find some food.

5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    We have a surgeon in Bryant, he has working bees at his flowers around the building. Clouds of them this time of year. As long you are slow and easy through there they literally work around you. Just don't swat, make noise or run. There are several large providers of flowers in the field but we are kind of thin on bees there this year.

The problem is the hornet. They love that tree pollen on the car near the trunk when it's open. Make a beeline for some of that. And were in the way.

I am not allergic, but in trucking have been hit by both wasp and hornet. They to understate, are not fun. One got me on the spine at 80 near Binghampton and it lit me up. Gathered that truck back after the trailer got away on dry pavement. Thats how bad it was. I was actually looking for the shooter at that point outside once i soothed the rig.

Upinsmoke and 25(2)+2 Thank this.
  6. MericanMade

MericanMade Heavy Load Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Pensacola, FL
    Hive mites are a bigger problem. I couldn’t keep on top of the things, and I only had one hive. Bees finally had enough and left. I sold all my beekeeping crap and crossed that hobby off my list.

A black bear dined on what was left.

clausland, Upinsmoke and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  7. zaroba

zaroba Heavy Load Member

Aug 28, 2012
    South East PA
    Maybe these murder Hornets will take a liking to the stink bugs we got from Asia in the late 90s.

Upinsmoke Thanks this.
  8. Mid-May Trucker

Mid-May Trucker Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2018
    Just put cages around the hives.

Upinsmoke Thanks this.
  9. MericanMade

MericanMade Heavy Load Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Pensacola, FL
    I had it strapped down to screw anchors when it was active. No bear problem until I left the defunct hive components laying around in the open.

Upinsmoke Thanks this.
  10. CousinVinny

CousinVinny Medium Load Member

Jan 26, 2015
    New Jersey
    Are you sure you weren't bitten by a horsefly? These guys are all over the place and the bites suuuuuuck.

[​IMG]

We also have Cicada Killers here but they are pretty chill and don't really bother anyone.

[​IMG]

11. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.