tractor- box truck conversion

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by The Challenger, Nov 28, 2008.

1. otr500

otr500 Light Load Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Pitkin, La.
    My wife and I was in a new 28 ft box van F-shaker with a 300 H.P MB engine. It had a 6 sp fully auto trans. and was awesome. I personally would have never had a desire to drive an auto but did for the wife's sake. It had plenty of power, triple digit, and the only add-on I would have liked would have been a drop axle. I know plenty of super truckers that would say---not me--- but it got 12 MPG average and 10 MPG hauling ###. There is a 13 sp. option also and I hear an 18 speed.
    Even though fuel prices dropped it is still comparetively high compared to the good old days. The auto beats all the standard shifts in fuel economy. The little green guy that controls things in the tranny never misses a gear--EVER--and knows exactly when to upshift or downshift. Also there is a manual lock switch to hold it any gear. As for the mountain arguement--it is bunk. Put in manual and shift it like a standard(ours had buttons) with no problems. Of course there will always be those that will say---no way--anyway. It is kind of like the jake issue. There are many that say to turn jakes off in icy weather. I have driven the winter mountains in every state that has them and ALWAYS--ALWAYS run my jakes. When confronted I always make a point that gently restricting the engine is far better than ever touching the brakes, especially since most jakes are 2 or 3 stage.
    I personally would rather have the auto shift option with a clutch.
    Our truck had a 96" sleeper with a drop bunk, many wood grain cabinates, a flatscreen sat. TV, sink, Sat. radio, full sized RV refrigerator/freezer, generator with air/heat, 5000 watt inverter, heated seats and floor and the bed flipped into a sofa with a table. the only thing missing, and that I would certainly have added, is a toilet. This can be added very easy with the 110" super sleeper. The front seats even swiveled. New it was very expensive but my boss bought it used with 90,000 miles for $55,000. Some less fancy ones sell a lot cheaper. Some can be custom ordered to include self tracking satellite. That would be a great option running teams as we were.
    Well I just wanted to let you know some things as options. Hope it is helpful.

Baack Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Scott101

Scott101 Medium Load Member

Nov 30, 2008
    NorCal
    I thought that was good advice too, but then got to thinking... What is a better career? Financial sector, real estate, construction trades, agriculture? They all have their downsides. A smart truck driver is going to make more money then a dumb stock broker so I say it comes down to doing what you like and working smart.

The Challenger Thanks this.
  4. lwnft

lwnft Bobtail Member

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenville, Ohio
    I drove a dodge truck and a 33' goose neck trailer for 2 yrs plus. the trucks wear out quick and the the one repair after another.

I now drive a straight truck 24' cross country. auto none the less. I thought well if I ever needed to put some one else in it I wouldn't be worried about the clutch or as many repairs.

5. Big "A"

Big "A" Light Load Member

Nov 29, 2007
    White Bluff,Tn
    AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!:biggrin_25525:

6. otr500

otr500 Light Load Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Pitkin, La.
    I know lots of collage educated people in the trucking industry. I have a fairly good education and like driving a truck and not pushing a time clock.
    There are Enron executives that probably wish they could drive a truck. The auto industry may have some future truck drivers.
    I drive a truck because I want to. I dont know why others do it. I do look at it one way though, people may not be able to afford a car but will still have to use toilet paper so there will need to be truck drivers anyway.

IF--I had the chance now, and was younger, I would go to collage. I would pick a vocation that was not economy dependant. Something that would be in demand with a good economy or if there was a down turn. Something with the potential of a six figure income.
    Stock analists that do not get emotionally envolved(if they do they jump off bridges) make money when the stock market is booming and when it is crashing. They make money, in good times or bad, when stocks exchange hands. A portfolio manager advises his(or her) clients with his knowledge and expertise. If it backfires it is not his(or her) fault. Some unexpected event in the Asian markets creates an unexpected sell off causing stock prices to fall through the floor. Since you work 20 hours a day you are on top of it, drink a lot of coffee,
    start calling clients, selling stocks, and making money. When the economy sucks you advise clients to buy while stocks are cheap.
    It takes a special prick to do this type of work so this is just an example. Ok, maybe that is not a good example unless you are a prick so some research may be needed.

7. The Challenger

The Challenger Kinghunter

Dec 22, 2007
    East Central FL
    My major is "Student Affairs" with a minor in business. I do not care what people say about me not wanting to drive a truck. I only want the experience and the license.

Hunter

8. otr500

otr500 Light Load Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Pitkin, La.
    What is student affairs? You can never go wrong with business experience. I will tell you driving is a great way to see the country and get paid. Safety courses are great also. If you find you dont like driving--with the business and safety knowledge you can work inside a trucking company.

9. otr500

otr500 Light Load Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Pitkin, La.
    Kinghunter,
    Just remember that truck driving school is mostly a joke. They teach just enough for a person to get a lic.
    Most training companies train in an empty truck but I hear this is changing. A loaded truck drives a lot different than an empty one. They don't teach much about "the real world" and most new drivers can not back up--at all.
    I have suggested setting out a couple of cones in an empty parking lot but doubt anyone has heeded my advise.
    I always say if you want something---try it. It would be better to know you dont like something than to always wonder.

NukedNative and The Challenger Thank this.
  10. Passin Thru

Passin Thru Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2007
    VA
    College is spelled COLLEGE, So sorry I had to get that in. If it were me, I'd buy a Pete, 265" with lwss than 250,000 mi on it, remove 5th whl. and get the kit, change and buy a Great Dane Box and a lift kit for the fwd axle. 15 ove and my clutch leg isn't worn out after 1.7 million miles. You do not need a clutch except for start and stop and driving test. If you have'nt learned to float geras you should, all you do is wear out the clutch plates and the throwout bearing.

11. Sportster2000

Sportster2000 Road Train Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Indiana
    Come on now people. I went to college. Got my four year (B.S.) degree in Industrial Automotive Technology with a Manufacturing Technology minor. What that all boils down to is that I know cars, technology that goes into cars, how to fix cars, and advancing technology that can be used in cars. Also I know how to make STUFF. I now work on and drive test trucks. It is very interesting some days. I can't help you on the expiditor advice, sorry.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.