Tractor demand no longer necessarily a gauge for market health

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by rollin coal, Mar 31, 2024.

1. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN

This article totally misses it. The reason new tractors are in great demand right now even with a depressed freight market is because fleets are scrambling to get ahead of the lunatic phase 3 emissions starting in 2027. Nobody wants to risk their business beta testing this new mandate like they were forced to do in 2003, 2007 and 2010.

Biden-Harris Administration Finalizes Strongest Ever GHG Standards for Heavy-Duty Vehicles | SupplyChainBrain
    Biden-Harris Administration Finalizes Strongest Ever GHG Standards for Heavy-Duty Vehicles

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Oh goody. :rolleyes:

What’s the next system of unreliable crap going to be?

4. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    EV’s .. that’s this administration’s dream

olddog_newtricks and MACK E-6 Thank this.
  5. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Light and medium duty vocational trucks are affected starting in MY2027, heavy vocational trucks and daycab tractors are affected in MY’s 2029 and 2028 respectively. Sleeper cab tractors aren’t affected until MY2030, and in 2030 they only need to see a 6% increase in economy over MY2027. Sleeper cab tractors are affected the least only seeing a 25% increase in economy by MY2032, whereas light duty vocational trucks have see an increase in economy of 60% over MY2027 by that time.

https://www.epa.gov/system/files/documents/2024-03/420f24018.pdf

6. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    The article is vague. Let’s see the numbers for OTR sleepers, day cabs, vocational. All I care about is OTR sleeper Trucks. New and used. It’s easy to see current prices. New Truck orders, dictate future prices of new and used. Big fleets are always upgrading. They have no choice. It looks like the used prices are going to keep dropping. That’s incentive itself for fleets to trade up sooner than later. I see a nice window of opportunity to get a great deal on a 2 yr old Truck coming real soon, at the rate prices are dropping. Used market is going to be a buyers market. Good news for O/O’s. Depending on where they’re currently at on equipment. Simply put, it’s already cheaper and easier to buy a newer Truck vs. doing an inframe. Couple O/O’s I know have recently done just that. Old Trucks are broken down and parked.

Siinman, gentleroger and NightWind Thank this.
  7. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Boo…….

the Internationals pos that my town runs get 1.5 mpg plowing with wing and sander…….. should be right up an ev trucks ally

8. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I wonder what the life expectancy of the charge of a non-diesel truck battery will be on a cold winter day in a snowstorm.

About 12 minutes? :rolleyes:

broke down plumber and cke Thank this.
  9. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    And the last storm we were out for 24 hours straight….. only stopped to reload sander and coffee to go at the garage…..

10. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Sounds like they better figure out how to buy a bunch of trucks ahead of the mandate then. Also if you read it, there’s nothing mandating electric vehicles. It’s up to the manufacturers as to how they meet the targets.

Siinman and gentleroger Thank this.
  11. Lazer

Lazer Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Didn’t the Supreme Court rule in W. Virgina vs EPA, that government agencies do not have the power to ‘make laws/statutes’? The power to ‘make law’ rests solely with the legislative branch passing ‘bills’ that advance to the Executive Branch, that then is signed by the President?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.