Tractor Insurance value

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Dino soar, Nov 13, 2019.

1. stillwurkin

stillwurkin Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Insurance will only give you market value..like others have said. I have used pictures to give to the adjuster at his request. It helped some. ( i think). Years ago my dad had a truck totaled out that had a lot of new parts, and engine rebuild was not that old, mayby 2 years. Can't remember, but insurance company was under no obligation to replace the truck with like value. All they did was a payout. It wasn't satisfactory. But it is what it is. Thats why their buildings are sooo pretty. $$$. Lol. Nice people, they are, but they are not your friend. Don't over insure the value of your truck is my advice. I know you have blood, sweat, and mayby tears in your truck..but they don't care. So i am saying 15k, mayby 20.

Rideandrepair and Dino soar Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    It did help when theyt started looking at similar trucks to specify it had to be 99 or older on the price.

4. fishonron

fishonron Medium Load Member

Jul 25, 2017
    North Central Kansas
    I agree with this as long as it's not confused with, how much do I have into this truck.

5. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Ask your insurance agent, they HAVE thier own "commercial vechile blue book" Its not called that but that's what it is.
    What sucks is they wont tell you what the value is. But if you over insure they will only pay the book value. If you under insure they will only pay up to the amount you insured for.

6. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    If you have a truck that is in nice shape, it would be rare to collect enough to replace it. Heck if it is an older truck that is in nice shape, it would be hard to find one in the same shape to start with.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  7. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I must have been pretty close, I put 40 on mine, and the first offer was 39,000. lol

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  8. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Thanks for all the replies.

I purposely did not say what I insured the truck at because I wanted to hear your advice opinions and experiences.

I think I got it right insuring it at $15,000.

It was only a little over $100 and some change to go from 10,000 to 15. I didn't think they would pay 20.

They may not even pay 15 but I think that was the best choice for me.

Let's hope nobody has to pay anything and there are just safe travels ahead.

9. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I hear you on the let's hope. I am on my first time collecting and that covers a lot of years. lol

You are probably in the ball park.
    My log truck is an 88 freightshaker and I did 20, but that covers gear and trailer, no way I could think about replacing it for that, even though I don't have that in it. They would be hard pressed finding some to average from for less too.

I laid it over in the woods a couple of years back and had to sit there for a few hours before someone came along, plenty of time to think. I had decided to not turn it in, and use it to kit a nice old A model I have with the components instead. lol
    It turned out the deep snow protected it and she didn't even get scratched, just had to replace a mirros, so I still have to drive a freightshaker some. lol

10. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    Take it to be appraised once a year. Be sure insurance company has a copy of latest appraisal at all times. That's pretty much what your gonna get

Dino soar Thanks this.
  11. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Out of curiosity, does it have to be a certain amount of years old for that to work?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.