Tractor swaying and vibration knocking my mirrors off

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by Loaderlou, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Loaderlou

Loaderlou Medium Load Member

Feb 24, 2014
    Hi everyone, I'm experiencing swaying and vibration and I'm wondering if anybody has had that problem and found it was caused by the steering tires.

poppapump1332 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    Badly cupped and worn ft. tires will shake a/c lines and everything thats bolted on to the truck till its falling off your truck, when it starts shaking is the time to fix it?

4. Loaderlou

Feb 24, 2014
    Thanks for the comeback Baha. New tires, centrmatics and shocks going on today. Hoping that will do it. Otherwise I may have to change the steering box. Just wondering if the tires had a slight crown to them if that would make it wander

5. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    please inspect your front axle completely- It can be other factors that contribute to the shaking/vibration you experience-

A good start is this- Have someone in your truck turning the wheels left and right while you stand outside on the left looking at everything- Make sure your axle isn't "Walking"

6. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Ball joints, mentioned steering box. King pins. Tire balance. Bad belt in tire.
    Not sure about bearings.
    Check your rear axle too. Depends how your vibration is transferred to you.
    Does your steering wheel shake or is it steady?
    Do you feel it in your feet or in your seat?.
    Better mechanics on here than me to help you diagnose.

7. Loaderlou

Feb 24, 2014
    Thanks for the comebacks everyone. I will check all of theses suggestions. I'm noticing movement in the front rears front yoke, maybe remove a shim or two? Also the cab was really shaking yesterday at about 65 mph. Front cab bushings are tight but can't tell if the rear mount is loose or worn. All u joints are good. On my front rear, the driver side spring is sitting higher than the passenger side. I can stick my pinky between the top of the spring and the wear pad. If the rear is not pitched properly would that cause vibration?

8. Bigrayon

Bigrayon Road Train Member

Aug 16, 2015
    Next time if you look at the tire and sure take it to balance and you will know right away new tires are something else before new tires

9. Mr. PPS

Mr. PPS Light Load Member

Aug 13, 2017
    Deflated airbags did this for me last time.

10. poppapump1332

poppapump1332 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2010
    birdsboro,pa
    my company truck was doing the same thing snooped around and find a badly cupped steering tire on passenger side.

11. Loaderlou

Feb 24, 2014
    Hi Everyone, sorry for the delayed comeback, I've been doing a lot to remedy this, and I think I've got it. New steer and drive tires, which I needed anyway, new front shocks, all new wear pads (46k air trac), centramatics on the steers and a little tweak to get my air ride to proper height, oh and a new drag link. Almost a 100% now. Just waiting for an appointment for an alignment. Thank you all for your help and advise.

xsetra Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.