Tractor & Tanker reweigh steer axle question

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Truckershauling, Feb 13, 2024.

1. Truckershauling

Truckershauling Bobtail Member

Oct 30, 2023
    Same truck and and tanker. How come when loaded steer axle weight 12,000 and when close to unloaded steer axle weight 11,200? No adjustments or significant lost of fuel.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Because the 5th wheel is not directly over the exact midpoint of your drive axles (nor should it be) it will be forward a foot or two, thereby adding/reducing weight to steer/drive as weight of 5th wheel changes..

gentleroger, Oxbow and Crude Truckin' Thank this.
  4. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    Uhhh, because it's unloaded

Not sure yet how I want to punctuate the above statement. I'll leave it open ended.

Oxbow, HiramKingWilliams and Kyle G. Thank this.
  5. Truckershauling

Truckershauling Bobtail Member

Oct 30, 2023
    Reverse question.

What are reasons to the steer axle weighs more when trailer is unloaded vs steer axle weighs less when trailer is loaded?

6. circle h

circle h Light Load Member

Oct 22, 2020
    Because the fifth wheel is behind the center of the rear axle or axles.

7. KDHCryo

KDHCryo Light Load Member

Sep 14, 2023
    Physics be hard, yo!

Funny story, everyone has probably done this. Last week I was pulling a smooth bore 407 chemical tanker loaded to about 79.5K lbs gross. My drives were at 34,800 with the plate all the way back, air ride valve jacked as high as it will go. I need riser plates on my fifth wheel ( I have standard 3" plates, need 5") to get the liquid to settle back to the trailer tandems a little more, anyways...

Purposefully started my clock at 4am because I knew NC scale would be open, but DOT man usually doesn't get there till 5am. Come up one the scale at 0445 and he was already open on a Monday morning. Stomped on the brake pedal so hard at the scale stop sign I probably got a hard brake, got that liquid rocking and rolling back there. When I got on the scale he was probably watching my drives go from 26K to 39K lbs....

Gave me the green light after a minute or two of sitting there.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2024
    Hammer166, Grumppy and kemosabi49 Thank this.
  8. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    I never scale any of our loads but know how much I can haul and stay under 80k. Whenever I hit a scalehouse I always brake hard to get it rocking. Only had one scale that let me sit until everything settled down.

Grumppy, LTL Bull and KDHCryo Thank this.
  9. duhduh

duhduh Light Load Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Western Missouri
    Florida sat me to settle,,,,sat me,,,,sat me,,,,then green light....lol...just knew gonna get to visit. Green go..4 or 5 years ago.

Grumppy Thanks this.
  10. Animosus

Animosus Medium Load Member

Dec 7, 2015
    SE Wyoming
    I have the opposite problem. Have to run with the tag down to keep my steer legal only when empty. #wreckerproblems

IH Truck Guy and Oxbow Thank this.
  11. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    @KDHCryo messing with the ride weight on your tractor is NOT a good idea.. It screws with your driveline angles..

And it you were at 34000 something on the dri es with the fifth wheel all the way back weren't your steers a bit light? move it up and get some of that weight forward

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.