Trailer ABS

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by PUMPKIN389, Nov 25, 2022.

1. PUMPKIN389

PUMPKIN389 Light Load Member

Dec 7, 2020
    California
    plug is good because i attached reefer trailer 2 weeks ago and then i didn’t displayed any problem regarding ABS i guess it something in trailer. Thank you for reply

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PUMPKIN389

Dec 7, 2020
    California
    Check that light. -> what to check in light
    Check your plug connections. Both at the trailer and the truck sides. -> plugs are good because i attached another reefer and it was not showing any ABS lights on that trailer
    Sometimes the male and female ends get loose or corroded. -> where are they? Location please
    If loose. Carefully speed the split prong. Not too much it will break
    If corroded then clean them uo

4. loudtom

loudtom Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2016
    There is a system you can use to get blink codes if you don't have a code reader. For my trailer, I can unplug the electrical cord, wait 1 second, then plug it back in five times in a row. After the last time of plugging it in, the yellow ABS light on the back driver side of the trailer will use a combination of short and long blinks to let me know which code it is. I'll search Google or I think I have a PDF on my phone to cross reference the code, then troubleshoot from there.

There are a number of different things that could cause the ABS light to come on, so you'll want to know which codes you are having in order to begin your troubleshooting. It could be a faulty sensor(or sensor not close enough to the tone ring), a mechanical problem with a wheel end, faulty wiring, or even a bad brake control unit.

5. ducnut

ducnut Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    SPI
    Look inside the backs of the wheels, at the brake assemblies, and make sure the ABS sensor rings aren’t hanging on the axle tubes.

I can’t remember which manufacturer/model of brakes. But, where I used to work, they had a massive problem with sensor rings coming off the hubs, so checking for them became part of my pre-trip. I encountered three different trailers, myself, and had to have the loads swung.

They look something like this.
    670BD4B4-0E51-417C-A442-606015FCD72F.jpeg

6. GYPSY65

GYPSY65 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2012
    SW FLA
    What does a reefer trailer have to do with abs?
    You need to figure out what that plug is for and what is all involved with it

7. Raffito

Raffito Light Load Member

Aug 25, 2019
    Conroe
    Have to agree with Flood, but you can also do a visual inspection. You can have a chaffed sensor wire like Uncleal13 suggested.
    You may still have to take it to a shop to have it replaced.

8. BRD TRANSPORT

BRD TRANSPORT Light Load Member

Jul 6, 2018

9. PUMPKIN389

Dec 7, 2020
    California
    Can u tell me where is sensor located?

10. loudtom

loudtom Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2016
  11. BRD TRANSPORT

BRD TRANSPORT Light Load Member

Jul 6, 2018
    There will be small coaxed cable on top of each axl enyering hub.
    both sides follow cable to sensor and push in with a flat bar like a pencil size.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.