Trailer suspension

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by concdriver, Dec 9, 2023.

1. concdriver

concdriver Bobtail Member

May 19, 2012
    cambridge,on
    Recently I hooked up to a really old trailer. This trailer besides having 4 air bags for suspension, also had a small maxi (Brake Chamber, with an air hose attached) which was connected to a push rod which was connected on the other side to a cross member, right above the rear axle of the trailer. Can anyone tell me please, what was i looking at. Sorry, I do not have any picture. This trailer was OK as long it was empty or lightly loaded. When they put load on it, this maxi started leaking air (From the hole as well as the push rod side). Is there any tips / tricks to deal with it ?.

Also another trailer I pulled had a very small air bag, right on top side of the axle, above the main air bag. Can anybody tell me please what is this small one for?. Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    Sounds like your talking about the trailer support stands. When you release your brakes, the stands come up, when you set them, the stands go down.

concdriver Thanks this.
  4. JB7

JB7 Medium Load Member

Dec 13, 2022
    The small chamber may be for an air operated slider for the tandems. Follow the hose from the chamber and see where it goes. Does it go to a push/pull valve like this? Regardless of what it is for the rubber diaphragm/pancake needs to be replaced to stop the leak.
    upload_2023-12-9_17-22-41.png

concdriver Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.