Trainer illegally using hours

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by LostInSpace, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Tazz

Tazz Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Lynchburg,Tn
    Uhm e-logs have a sign in first day.:biggrin_2558:

Don't know what "large carrier" you chose, but I have never heard of a seven day training period for drivers with zero OTR at any of them. Might have been a red flag from jump if you ask me.

Report the trainer, and forward a copy of the complaint to FMCSA with the carriers MC number.

I wouldn't overly worry about an admitted druggie L/O from England. If you saw the dregs they have running the interstate you would already know the low regard they are held in the industry. And in fact most are a legend in their own mind:biggrin_25513:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. YankeeTexan

YankeeTexan Light Load Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Houston, Tx
    At the risk of going off the original topic, let me see if I have this straight. Bazerk Wizz Bang has two years driving exp (according to his little profile in the top corner) and he has it all figured out. He drove for (and maybe still is, I don't know) CRE, and because of this he thinks he is an expert on all the "mega carriers"...interesting.

He also goes off about "people talking sheet" to him and "blabbing their mouth about everything"...well...Joe Pot you should meet Suzy Kettle you both have alot in common.

Still have no idea what the whole Mexico story had to do with the price of tea in China. It does not relate to the original topic in any way shape or form.

Being clean shaven is a bad thing why? Some of us have to be clean shaven, a requirement to make our pick ups and deliveries. (and, gasp, we also have to wear long pants, boots and long sleeve shirts as well. I guess that makes me a big company suck up right?)

Oh well, I guess he is just another in the long line of guys who know it all. Has a computer, an internet connection and lots of "knowledge" he has gained form reading message boards, listening to the cb and overhearing lunch counter conversations.

That sound you hear is people laughing at you not with you.

4. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
    FMCSA is NOT where to file your complaint.

File it with OSHA !!!!!

5. Tazz

Tazz Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Lynchburg,Tn

File it with both if you wish. However numerous complaints will result in a compliance review.

http://nccdb.fmcsa.dot.gov/faq.asp

6. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    LostInSpace Thanks this.
  7. LostInSpace

LostInSpace Bobtail Member

Jun 11, 2011
    Washington
    Thanks, they are supposedly one if the very largest & best, supposedly. Like I've said, we chose them for their benefits which seem to be unrivaled. I do notice other companies have longer training times...hmmm...hard to weigh one thing against the other.

He still has job offer from smaller local company he will call tomorrow that has a 6 week training period..

As for reporting the crooked trainer, we wonder if he should report it to 1) his orientation trainer who he thought was a straight up guy or 2) the big cheese of the whole orientation center or 3) his dispatcher or whatever they call him there, or 4) his recruiter? The recruiter does seem as slimy as the trainer who has caused this problem.

Thanks so much to everyone! Thanks for the link to the lawyer, I like that he works on contingency but I think this is a matter of moving on right now and calling a spade a spade and getting out of Dodge.

8. LostInSpace

LostInSpace Bobtail Member

Jun 11, 2011
    Washington
    Oh and I forgot to say that in orientation, they did a paper version of the software logs (not paper logs, yes they did that too but to "practice" the software, they only used paper computer models) and when he went out with the trainer, the trainer did (or was supposed to) both their logs on the truck computer and he didn't have access to the computer, didn't have a sign on ID, etc.

9. Tazz

Tazz Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Lynchburg,Tn
    Good deal. Frankly I try and keep everything local. 6 weeks may seem long but if the pay is there, and he gets some training( not just another log book like the first time) maybe a better deal over all.

HR and safety at the company as well as the FMCSA IMO. The first may alert the company to some bad employee's, the second will ensure they are looked at if they do not correct them.

10. Tazz

Tazz Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Lynchburg,Tn
    For future reference E-logs of any sort do not negate that the driver stay current, so as soon as he sits in the seat he needs a log book or ID for his e-logs.

You do not certify(?) a log 7 days later. It sounds like they are using DDL and making logs after the fact and not E-logs or EOBR's which record automatically as the time passes.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/administration/fmcsr/fmcsrruletext.aspx?reg=395.8

(f) The driver's activities shall be recorded in accordance with the following provisions:Code of Federal Regulations486

(1) Entries to be current. Drivers shall keep their records of duty status current to the time shown for the last change of duty status.

(2) Entries made by driver only. All entries relating to driver's duty status must be legible and in the driver's own handwriting.

(3) Date. The month, day and year for the beginning of each 24-hour period shall be shown on the form containing the driver's duty status record.

(4) Total miles driving today. Total mileage driven during the 24-hour period shall be recorded on the form containing the driver's duty status record.

11. lostNfound

lostNfound Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Home of the Stampede
    Don't get defensive; the advice you're getting here is the best you're ever going to get. I wasn't blaming your hubby, but reiterating that he, and he alone, is responsible for his logs. DOT enforcement/state troopers will not care one iota about whatever (sob) story he tells them if he is stopped. He is responsible for everything he does, not his trainer nor any of the other alphabet-soup employees wherever he works.

And defense lawyers care even less.

If he isn't logging in (or making the status change on paper logs) at the time it happens, he is logging illegally and it is his feet that will be held to the fire.

Again, no offense, but he needs a whole lot more training than that. He's not even a baby in this industry... he's still an embryo. Regardless of how much he thinks he was taught at college, they barely scratched the surface. And for a complete noob to the industry, 7-10 days on-the-road and then being turned loose is like handing a gun to a child after five minutes of training... something bad is going to happen.

LostInSpace Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.