Training???

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by screenman_0, Nov 27, 2009.

1. screenman_0

screenman_0 Light Load Member

Nov 27, 2009
    Denison, TX
    I have decided to go into the Trucking Industry since I am single again and my Kid is grown and on his own. I live in Texas and there is a local college that has a driving school and the State will pay for this class. But I would like to see if Company Paid training will get me making money faster. Steven's Transport offers a class, but I hear bad things about them, but there is good things being said also. People knock Swift's class as well as Werner's also. What company out there has good training as well as good equipment? Would it be better fo me to take the College training, then find a job? Looking for some input from people who know.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JasonTheRock

JasonTheRock Light Load Member

Feb 7, 2009
    Oakland, Ca.
    I would take the state training if you are not responsible for paying it back. A lot of these companies will make you pay for the training if you leave early. Does the college program offer employment assistance?

4. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    CA...gold discovery foothills
    I irrevocably agree with JasonTheRock

screenman_0 Thanks this.
  5. Rollover the Original

Rollover the Original Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Springfield,MO
    GO TO THE STATE SCHOOL!

Do not fall for a trucking company driving mill!
    Pay the state school so you are NOT indentured to the trucking company for 1 or 2 years making crapola! You need to read some more of the posts about these schools!

screenman_0 Thanks this.
  6. RACEFAN

RACEFAN Medium Load Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Take the state training!!!!!

screenman_0 Thanks this.
  7. Logan76

Logan76 Crusty In Training

Jul 12, 2009
    kittanning, PA
    I did my training through state funding for dislocated workers, I got my class A liscense and now instead of owing anyone money, I've had a couple of interviews to drive locally and one place that is going to call me come spring to drive for them locally. I'm not out driving for a big company in debt with them and working for a slaves rate.

screenman_0 Thanks this.
  8. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Local College better idea, not much we all agree on, but this seems to be it. All the companies will have a time pay back contract.

screenman_0 Thanks this.
  9. JustSonny

JustSonny Big Dummy

Oct 22, 2009
    Troutman NC
    I found a thread several weeks ago that was helpful to me. The thread title is "Special Alert!!! Driver Training Schools (by TurboTrucker). The thread started 08/06/06 and there have been 167 posts to this thread since then. That's a lot of posts to read but many are short enough to make a perusal through the thread worthwhile. At least I found that to be the case!

screenman_0 Thanks this.
  10. screenman_0

screenman_0 Light Load Member

Nov 27, 2009
    Denison, TX
    Thanks for all your input:biggrin_25514:. This morning I went to a Drivers Seminar to learn the scoop on a company paid school. The cost was $5995. + 19% interest for the first year I will drive. After that they will forgive me on 70% of the loan.

I am going to go to the local college, their cost is $4200. which the State is going to pay for me. I am going to have to tighten my belt up a little waiting for the class to start, but I will at least get to start my Trucking career with no additional Debt.

11. JustSonny

JustSonny Big Dummy

Oct 22, 2009
    Troutman NC
    Go for it Screenman! And stay in touch!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.