Trans Am Trucking, Inc. - Olathe, Ks.

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by Werewolf, Feb 4, 2006.

1. Thumper

Thumper Medium Load Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Thats sucks ,I havent had a layover pay yet.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Thumper

Aug 22, 2008
    They turned you down? wow lol
    You been driving year or less fill us in with more details how many jobs in the year. how many tickets. Have you run over anyone are anything?

They seem pretty easy to get into class with I though maybe you got a airhead recruiter?

4. Thumper

Aug 22, 2008
    how is celodon going?

5. PharmPhail

PharmPhail Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2008
    NC

No, I have NO experience. Just got my CDL. I think the problem is I have been a full time university student for the last 6 years. They seem to think that is the same as being unemployed half your life. I did work several internships, but they were not paid, and I didn't need the money due to financial aid packages and my wife's work as well.

6. Dewfrogg

Dewfrogg Bobtail Member

Oct 30, 2008
    Borger, Texas
    Hi Cruz, I can tell ya about sitting at Dodge City, and Grand Island, Nebraska for 2 days waiting on a load. Talk about stink... There is no way I want to drive for them again. And in Dodge City, there is nowhere to go to get away from the smell. So I understand that part of it. Also sit for quite a while in Friona, Tx at another beef packing place.. Also stunk. I think I would rather just drive either a tanker or a box van next time around. Forget about reefers. Once in Friona we had to get a meat load and the temp was 106 outside, and the trailer was so old it wouldn't keep the meat at the temp that was required, which was zero degrees. So they had to repack it into another trailer which wasn't much better. It took hours and hours for it to get down to just 3 degrees. We finally could take it. But their trailers leave alot to be desired...
    Have a great one
    Dewfrogg

billsgirl Thanks this.
  7. blade

blade Heavy Load Member

Jan 30, 2009
    Some where, Mo
    i must say i have enjoyed reading the comments on trans am wish i had came here before i went to work there. to the driver who has defended trans am i must ask do u train? cause if u do not let me give u a different side of why trans am drivers are sitting espically if the are co drivers because u right trans am does have a preplan system and as long as u are not on the east coast that preplan works or as long as u don't deliver on the weekends u may be okay since planners come in all thru the week and sat afternoons to find loads. i can personally tell u that most of those drivers waiting at truck stops are waiting on a load or got a preplan that was changed or since they have a 62 mile per hr truck they are waiting on a swap cause the got a load that they couldn't deliver on time since it was late getting out of the shipper due to shipper error or bad pickup numbers given by dispatch. or even u had truck issues and once u got them fixed they send u to pick up a load that has a deadhead time that is 48hrs away come on don't give me that crap the training staff at trans am is great all of them espically the bus drivers lol and the backing range instructor sry don't remember names also as someone else mentioned the recuriters are great hell even some of the dispatchers are kool they just don't fight for there drivers and the planners don't give a #### about drivers. Johonny is a great owner and if he ever took back full control i'd call trans am in a min cause he's truly the one that care :biggrin_25525:

8. billsgirl

billsgirl Light Load Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Cheektowaga, NY
    OMG you just made me have a flashback of our days there. Wow. You hit it head on. We especially loved picking up loads that were a day or 2 late (due to bad planners) and then them expecting Bill to get it to the receiver as if we had actually picked it up on time. Yep those were the days...:biggrin_25511:

9. Panhandle flash

Panhandle flash Road Train Member

Jul 18, 2008
    Oklahoma City
    Well here I sit in lovely North Platte, NE. Am down for a 34 hr reset. Typical rookie mistake, it was. Didn't keep an eye on my recap and went over 2.5 hrs. Lost my preplan, that I got on a weekend BTW and just love these Flying J's.
    After all the moaning and groaning that I had done about Transam, the dice rolled my way and I was rackin up some miles.
    Came off of hometime and went to Holcomb, Ks to pick up a load going to MO. A tyson warehouse where I did have to sit 2 days to pick up a ;load from the same place and take it to Florida. Left out just as the bad weather was rolling in and sat all that out while sitting in sunny Florida wishing I had some shorts.
    Oh my, was Florida a learning experience. Got to do my 1st multiple pick up and delievery on the same trip. My 1st time to go to a port (Port Canaveral), where I learned about the $25 excort fee. !st time to not have a BOL with numbers, seals, weight, and all the other things we have come to expect. 2nd time I've been asled how I want the trailer loaded. Huh!!!! I'm supposed to know things like that? Didn't teach me that in school nor did the company trainer. Good thing I'm not afraid to walk up to another driver, tell him I'm new, and ask him WTF.
    (Hint for new drivers, when you get your truck and have an empty trailer, weigh it ) Port wouldn't give me a weight, said they'd have it up front. Yea right. Found it its kind of hard to tell them how to load it, when the company either won't or can't give you needed info like, how many pallets am I getting at the next place. Makes a world of difference, I'm here to tell You. Leaving Florida, trailer tandems were all the way foward and I was legal, barely. Would have loaded differently but see above about needed info.
    Anyway, delieveries were to Cheyenne, Wy and North Platte, NE. Shame about that recap cause I was on a roll. Oh well. WILL NOT MAKE THAT MISTAKE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!

billsgirl Thanks this.
  10. CommDriver

CommDriver Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2006
    That's another one of those things that just comes with experience and knowing how you like your load to ride, how heavy your tractor is with all your stuff in it (including fuel), where you keep your fifth wheel set, what states you're running in, and what kind of product you're picking up. It seems that I remember they did go over this some when I was in school but still had to just feel it out on my own over the years.

Your trainer should have at least told you that the heavier pallets, if there's any difference in their weight, go toward the nose. And if you're pulling a 53' trailer, you don't want them to load you past the 48' line if it's a heavy load.

When I started out, I would usually just tell them to load it however they normally do. There are some, though, who might want to make it hard on you, and load it all screwed up. But most don't want you coming back from the scales to have them load it all over again. That's the main incentive they have to do it right. I did have some experiences, like a load of beer kegs that was all screwed up. And they closed before I could go back to have them reload it. I spent about an hour in the back of the trailer moving kegs around to get it legal.

11. Panhandle flash

Panhandle flash Road Train Member

Jul 18, 2008
    Oklahoma City
    Zero, unfortunately, this is one of the companioes that thinks if you have 90 days experience, your good enough to be a trainer. Mine had 6 mos and the CDL mill he went to was worthless from what I could tell. He didn't even know how to do a tug test and didn't think it was that important until the night we almost lost a trailer. Good thing I physically checked the hookup before pulling out and saw that it was not latched. Can be sure that I did tug tests from then on. Don't know if he is or not. I tell you this so that you'll understand that he doesn't know anything about loading either.
    Most of the loads that we pick up are usually sealed and we just weigh them. Haven't had to take one back yet.
    As to how to load a truck, am learning pretty fast about that and have no problems with walking up to another driver and explaining that I am new and ask for help. Most of them a tickled to share their knowledge and glad that someone would ask them. Course we still have that problem of telling them how to load a multiple pickup if you have no idea what your getting or how many pallets it will be. I ended up with a total of 17 pallets which is why I barely passed on the drives. Oh well

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.