Trans differences? Lengths???? Whats compatible?

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Green461, Oct 12, 2020.

1. Green461

Green461 Light Load Member

Mar 22, 2019
    Southern WI
    Got a friend broke down in Bismarck needing a trans. His is a Weller TRX16710C 10 speed manual and KW dealer there says its rare, are other trannys the same length and what else would work? I would think there would be a common trans for this???
    99 KW T2000, N14... used to be an autoshift but the trans above was swapped in a couple years ago.
    thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Never heard of that model.

You should be able to put just about any Eaton transmission in there. Biggest issue will probably be having to get the driveshaft length altered. Even then that's a cakewalk for a driveline shop to take care of.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  4. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH
    Gonna assume its a rtx. Most all 10's. Rtx,rto,rt,fro. Will be bout the same in length. But you will pay a core charge to the rebuilders if cores don't match.

Try and have a dealer locate a Eaton factory reman.

5. Green461

Green461 Light Load Member

Mar 22, 2019
    Southern WI

Not sure on model number, The KW dealer said Weller gets rid of all the Eaton numbers on the trans so you cant find out what it is. KW dealer says this trans is rare. Wonder if anyone knows how to identify what model it is by the weller number?

6. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    I have to agree with @jamespmack.

The letters are scrambled a little bit but if it's a 10 speed I think they basically are all about the same length. The problem comes in if you try to put a 13 or an 18 speed.

The dealer may say that it's rare because they're an older transmission now.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.