TransAm Trucking, Inc. - Olathe, Ks.?

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by tjgosurf, Aug 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    He'll still have to pull a pallet jack at the grocery warehouses. That won't do arthritic knees much good either.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. KD5AXG

KD5AXG Papa Bear

Sep 3, 2006
    Commerce, Texas
    I was told that wouldn't be an issue either. They have gone to a no touch policy.

4. RickLynn

RickLynn Bobtail Member

Jun 27, 2006
    What is TransAm pet policy for small dog?

5. tjgosurf

tjgosurf <strong>New Driver Helper</strong>

Feb 20, 2006

Company drivers are forbidden to touch freight.

With the arthritis and knee problems the automatic will be good. My dispatcher is out of rockwall.

6. KD5AXG

KD5AXG Papa Bear

Sep 3, 2006
    Commerce, Texas
    They don't like animals in the trucks. If I remember right, (and I got all my info from a friend and the terminal manager), they charge $2500 for a 'pet deposit'. Once again, it wasn't that important to me and that seems to be the number I remember.

7. RickLynn

RickLynn Bobtail Member

Jun 27, 2006
    Wow! That would make a right nice down payment on your own truck.

8. KD5AXG

KD5AXG Papa Bear

Sep 3, 2006
    Commerce, Texas
    That is the terminal I am trying to get on with. I am getting set up for a driver training school now, hopefully starting on the 25th. (hopehopehope).
    Government subsidized training.:confused1: Hurry up and wait.:salute:

9. tjgosurf

tjgosurf <strong>New Driver Helper</strong>

Feb 20, 2006
    I will begin this by saying, if you're looking to own a truck this is not the route to go. If you're looking to have some say so and make decent money read further.

I will give a brief overview of what is required of you. You are responsible for the following as a lease operator with TransAm:
    -fuel
    -taxes(your personal taxes and fuel tax)
    -scaling cost.

Base plates, operating authority, and ALL tolls. Basically you are a glorified company driver. I have pulled this from the TransAm website:

The payments are as follows: Columbia $497/week, T600 $540/week. The warranty is nice. It really is bumper to bumper, I had the truck washed then ran into some cold weather both hood mirrors cracked. Took it to freightliner and they replaced them without question. Along with 2 wheel seals that went out.

This really isn't for a new driver. You have to be able to manage your money well to make good paychecks. I average $1200-1800 a week. But you have to be smart about where you fuel, how much you fuel, and not letting your spending habits go crazy. You have to run 1300 miles to break even with all your payments, then you got your fuel. You do get 100% of the fuel surcharge, which is the way it should be. When the national average jumps up more the company actually kicks in money to ease the pain of buying fuel.

I know this seems like a garbled mess I hope it makes sense. Here are the things I like:
    -I don't get screwed with, I haven't spoken to anyone at the company in months. I like that, they don't coddle and question me at every turn.
    -They pay 100% for lumpers, while drivers are unloading their trucks I am hanging out, or taking a nap.
    -We haul meat loads from the midwest, to the east coast and back to the midwest. We do not haul in any chain law states, their policy is, "If you need chains you should not be driving."
    -8 day notice to get some time off. Its nice, I have an escrow account I am taking a week off after new years. I haven't had a vacation in 5 years.
    -I have an APU that gives me a/c, heat, and power. I have a fridge, microwave, and computer. It is possible to put a full size fridge in here but I don't need that much. I am going to put a tiny freezer in here for some of my frozen foods.
    -The satiellite system is alot better than the Qualcomm system I always used before.
    -Eaton Vorad. I know I will get heat for this, but that thing is a life saver. I never knew how close I rode behind people. For those who don't know what it is, basically its radar. It has three lights each representing following distance. When I get to close to someone it will cut the throttle, too close and the jake brakes come on. At first I hated it, but then got used to it and its nice. I like being safe.
    -I have not seen any of the three yards in months. I like that, I feel like being around HQ is weird. And if I have to go there I sneak in the middle of the night.
    -When people do come into the yard they have two guys checking out EVERY trailer coming in, from lug nut tightness to brake checks. Very helpful, how many trailers have you picked up with bad brakes?

Things I don't like:
    -I have very little support for late loads. Their customer support is horrible. It is easier to just call the shipping office yourself. They do give you the number.
    -They require my fuel receipts to match my log book. Like I remember when I fuel, much less what state I am in.
    -I cannot use my satiellite while moving. While it is good, I am responsible enough to know when to use it. But I have to suffer because others were not responsible.

Thats about it. Feel free to ask questions. Would I recommend this company to others? Hell if I know I just work here.

One more thing, getting out of your lease requires a two week notice.

10. azcardnlz

azcardnlz Medium Load Member

Oct 4, 2006
    Indianapolis, IN
    Did the truck come with the APU, or did you add it yourself?

11. Sami

Sami Bobtail Member

Trans Am came to my school the other day..does anybody have any first hand experience with them??

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.