TransAm Trucking, Inc. - Olathe, Ks.?

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by tjgosurf, Aug 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. passport220

passport220 Road Train Member

Oct 9, 2012
    Des Moines, IA
    Thanks for the detailed post. Sorry you where disappointed with how the training period worked out. For me, I think I would not mind less time OTR, stuck in the small space of the truck. At least you got learn some OTR and then get the comfort of staying in a hotel for the city training. Did they put you up at the Comfort Inn or back at Holiday Inn?

The lease program here does seem to be controversial. I figure the break-even point to be about 1,700 miles per week in this program, so I don't really see how you can make"good money" without exposing yourself to a lot of risk of downside.

Having said that, I have not ruled out a lease, after I get some experience as a company driver, as the program would allow for extended time off (up to 90 days) in between 6 month leases. I have some projects going and to have time off sometimes to work on those would be great.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. passport220

Oct 9, 2012
    Des Moines, IA
    Yeah, TransAm sent me a bus ticket for the 4 hour ride to Kansas and also paid to have a car take us from the bus station to the orientation hotel.

4. lavancesmith

lavancesmith Bobtail Member

Dec 15, 2012
    columbia,missouri
    how is the room in the t700 my wife wants to ride along ???

5. passport220

Oct 9, 2012
    Des Moines, IA
  6. .honeybadger.

.honeybadger. Road Train Member

Sep 30, 2012
    FL
    TransAm is paying airfare in some cases. I easy originally sent a bus ticket leaving Christmas Day but a few days before I left Darren called and offered Mr a plane ticket at TransAm's expense. Everyone in my orientation flew in, paid by TransAm.

As far as hotel, I returned and was put in the Comfort Inn. Was there for 4 days until I called out housekeeping on stealing food from my too several days (lot of drama there and I filed a corporate complaint with the hotel) and then Darren had me moved to La Quinta for the rest of my stay. I was actually burned out on hotel and would have preferred to be on a truck, especially with the Comfort Inn drama.

Room on any truck is limited but I feel the room on the 700 is probably some of the best for 2 people. Neither my coach nor I were petite but had no overly cramped feeling. It was pretty nice actually.

You won't be a millionaire leasing with TransAm, but neither will the company drivers. There is more risk, but more to gain. So it comes down to a gamble. The kind of money that can be made leasing is enough for my part of contributing to my family and I enjoy the freedom that comes with leasing (no forced dispatch, new truck, ect).

That being said, I'm itching to get rolling again. Thank God I got breakdown insurance. Im tired of sitting though and as it stands KW won't be working on my truck til tomorrow. In curious to know how dispatch ((not my DM, but one of the other guys i cannot stand)) expects me to do a swap at 1am when my load is locked in their yard. Heck, I don't even know that I can stay in my truck tonight.

passport220 Thanks this.
  7. usramc

usramc Light Load Member

Oct 29, 2012
    How long is the training period? Whats there home time? Pay for students?

8. lavancesmith

Dec 15, 2012
    columbia,missouri
    is it normal that the recruiter at transam take awhile to process your app??

9. passport220

Oct 9, 2012
    Des Moines, IA
    I wrote in detail about the training period and student pay here. http://www.thetruckersreport.com/tr...am-trucking-inc-olathe-ks-49.html#post3046259

Hometime is 1 day hometime for every 1 week out, up to four days.

Not too long, they do verify your information before the invite you to come to training, but the recruiter kept in contact with me along the way.

lavancesmith Thanks this.
  10. lavancesmith

Dec 15, 2012
    columbia,missouri
    i called last thursday,she was waiting on the drug & ach report.havent heard anything since

11. .honeybadger.

.honeybadger. Road Train Member

Sep 30, 2012
    FL
    It took me almost two weeks of calling them frequently before I was finally offered an orientation date. They just needed to do their work on drug/alcohol screening and ran my DAC.

Finally gonna be set free from KW today it looks like! My truck is out for a road test as I type this. Then I just need my DM to give me a load and I will be gone!

passport220 and lavancesmith Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.