TransAm Trucking On my way ...

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by calalan07, Oct 26, 2010.

1. lydialonghaul

lydialonghaul Light Load Member

Oct 29, 2010
    Glen Allen, VA
    Trip planning is one of the things that will be discussed at TA orientation. Also, your trainer will work with you on trip planning. If you have your bus ticket, than you are in the door. However, if you falsified information on your app, fail drug test or decide to hang out and get drunk over the weekend, then you are out the door. Other than that, you are well on your way to a life changing career. :biggrin_255:

calalan07 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. calalan07

calalan07 Bobtail Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Philadelphia Pa
    yeah man I have my bus ticket I dont drink or smoke and I stilll got a vaild Dot physical ..:biggrin_25525:

4. wulfman75

wulfman75 Road Train Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Athens, GA
    I may have asked this before, but I've been looking into a bunch of companies lately so exuse me if I did lol

However what is the pet policy at TA? Do they have one and if they do what is the deposit and how long till you can take them with you?

Unlike most drivers the main thing for me is finding a company I can take my dog with me. Single with no kids so just me and him and that means I don't need much hometime. :)

Good luck to the new drivers, I'll be driving someone's truck early next year hopefully. :)

5. lydialonghaul

Oct 29, 2010
    Glen Allen, VA

I wish I could give newbie a 1, 2, 3 step plan to success with TA, unfortunately, I can not. But I will lay out some of the things we have done, of which, I strongly feel has been contributing factors.

1. We never, ever, call our dispatcher/driver manager to complain, whine or threat under any circumstances.

2. Only under one circumstance do we reject a load: if we had to swap/rescue a load and the connecting load is a three stopper that extends out over 3 or more days, then we make a phone call to simply point it out.

3. We are available to rescue a load for TA even if it means earning less miles and running harder. This is a favor!!!!

4. We take home time every 2 months of which is planned ahead. We like to be able to cover the truck expenses so we save money.

5. We run our truck between 59 and 62mph. So, if you pass a TA truck moving rather slowly, thats us!!!!:biggrin_2559:
    6. Plan ahead for incidentals, equipment failure will happen, so be prepared.

7. Be realistic and have realistic expectations. You will not become rich, but you can earn a respectable salary. You can not compare this job to a salary 40hrs a week job, it is more like, waiting tables or sales on commission. Some weeks you earn well, and well some weeks you don't.

JHexham, calalan07 and wulfman75 Thank this.
  6. Panhandle flash

Panhandle flash Road Train Member

Jul 18, 2008
    Oklahoma City
    Wulfman, you can take a pet last I knew. The deposit is rather substantial tho, like $1500. Call a recruiter to find out for sure.

7. lydialonghaul

Oct 29, 2010
    Glen Allen, VA

If you are a lease operator, then you may have a pet with a $2,500 deposit. This will not be refunded to you unless you purchase the truck.

8. rooster4861

rooster4861 Bobtail Member

Oct 31, 2010
    new london ct
    i ran with transam for 6months and was their top driver.
    this was 2+years ago.
    i did the lease.
    dont do it,no matter how pretty they present it.
    had a new t660 and had nothing but issues and had no support from them.
    i was given a choice::
    stcik with it or quit.
    recruiter told me,i can try lease n if it dont work i can go company.
    not true.needless to say.
    turned my truck in.
    truck made $70.000 in six weeks.
    i lost money in breakdowns and hotels stays.
    i too had that long bus trip from pittsburgh..ughn!!
    take my advise..
    stay away from lease..
    thats with any company.
    it works for the company,not for yur pocket..
    do yur time(3yrs or better) with one carrier and if u want to still go lease?
    dont do the pay per mile.
    do percentage pay.
    i am now running for a small out fit outa michigan.
    leasing a truck and so far been busy pulling reefer,flowers anw what ever else.
    all on the east coast.
    short miles is where u make yur money,not long trips where u spend tons of fuel.
    goodluck,hand.
    they call me leadfoot.

calalan07 Thanks this.
  9. bikermike

bikermike Bobtail Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Calalan07 one thing you need to know if you were not told yet is you will not be able to go home right after you finish training, so even though you need to pack light pack smart as well. I asked the recurters how long I would be out the first time and was told I would be out for about 4 weeks and then could go home with my truck to get my supplies like my CB. this is untrue. so if you have one take it with you. Now if you lease you can go home right away but DO NOT DO THAT! you will come back out of home time heavey in the negative. now with you leaving when you are you also have to plan on being gone for the hoildays as well. If I read correctly you start the week of the 8th so you will finish your OTR training and be back at 1 of the terminals between December 3rd to 5th. then you will have a week of testing and should be in a truck on Friday December 10th if all goes right. you cant put in for home time untill you have your own truck and it needs to be 8 days in advance so at best that puts you at the 18th of December. Now with it being so close to Christmas there may not be anything avalibale because only 20% of the companey fleet can be off at a time (50% on Christmas day). one of my friends that was smart and went companey had his first to home time choices turned down so you need ot be ready for that. but they did get him home when he had a family emergancy so dont worry about that. Once again I wish yo good luck.

calalan07 Thanks this.
  10. calalan07

calalan07 Bobtail Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Philadelphia Pa
    Thanks yous guys alot for the advice . My plan is to be out 3-4 month and then home time I'm a I person family all my family is out of sea living it up in the dominican . I packed like 10 t shirts and 5-6 jeans/cargos sock etc etc I am ready to be gone for a while I have a duffler bag and a backpack . Can some one explain more about the pay per mile and percentage pay Which one is better ? As a company driver what do I want .?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
  11. calalan07

calalan07 Bobtail Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Philadelphia Pa
    Anyone please Let me know what pay would be better for me to go with...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.