1. GraceLives

GraceLives Bobtail Member

May 8, 2015
    Tulsa, Ok
    Looking for update info on this company. In the alphabetical list I don't even see them listed. However, have noticed a few threads about them but they seem to be more then a year old.

This is one of the companies that Roadmaster (school I'm currently attending) had me put in an app with. According to their website it looks like they are fairly new to the training arena for recent grads fresh out of school. Would like to hear from drivers that have trained out there with this company or trainers that have trained new drivers if possible.

As with all things there is always good and bad I am quite aware. Just looking to get an idea so that I'm better informed from those ahead of me.

Thank you in advance for any and all replies.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jaso37

jaso37 Heavy Load Member

Sep 25, 2014
    I was a trainer there for about a year and a half. There is a thread called Trans Am Still and on there it will answer just about every question you may have.
    I will warn you not to lease, they push that big time and make it sound real easy. This is not an easy job and a lot of unpredictable things go wrong. If you choose them learn on their dime not yours. They create a lot of excitement about the lease program and when you go back to the hotel the other students are buzzing about it and how easy it looks. It is not easy getting and maintaining 3,000+ miles a week. They say you can go home whenever you want if you lease but that payment is still due so going home is not a good idea unless you like working for free or to owe them money. I went home for 12 days over 7 months and that is the only way I made it work.
    That thread was started by Cranky Yankee.
    Good luck

4. gntorres61

gntorres61 Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2013
    Plymouth NC
    Hi Grace. I am a current driver with TransAm though I am on my way out. TransAm only does 10 days training after three days orientation. Its not much. Absorb as much as you can. DO NOT LEASE!! LEARN ON THEIR DIME, NOT YOURS. Their tractors are nice and spec'd to the nines. APU, fridge, 2500 watt inverter, automatic trans. This is as good as any company out there to start a career. If you hit something, as long as its minor, on private property, non DOT reportable, nobody is going to scream at you. Another thing, this company does NOT carry chains, so you won't have to run if you do not feel safe!! Wish their training was longer. This company saved my career. After a year or so, maybe less if you are a fast learner, you will opt for greener pastures. Their Medical is not good. This is a starter company and it doesn't pretend to be anything else, but I am glad I came here and enjoyed my time with TransAm. Good luck Grace. Don't lease!

Last edited: May 26, 2015
    Reason for edit: update info
    Jamar Weston and GraceLives Thank this.
  5. GraceLives

May 8, 2015
    Tulsa, Ok

I did see that thread but it didn't look like anything new on it. I will go ahead and read it.

My husband is a driver and has been for about 5 years now. He did buy a truck while he was with KLLM but 6 months after it was paid for the turbo went out and KLLM would not finance the charge to fix it. They said it was mainly due to the high miles on the truck which I think were over 800,000. And we didn't have $7000 to fix it (the regen went out to at the same time is reason why cost was so high).While he worked for KLLM we put everything we owned into storage and lived on the truck. So, I'm no stranger to the life on the road. The company he works for currently does not offer a training program but do for team driving. I got to get my feet wet first driving the truck before I can switch over where he is at.

There is so much info here about who has good driver training and who doesn't its hard to know who to go with. I hear how good Steven's is but that is where my husband got his start and didn't make much money there. I wrote about all of this when I introduced myself on the welcome thread. ;) So I'll stop there.

Thanks for your info.

6. GraceLives

May 8, 2015
    Tulsa, Ok

Thank you gntorres61. Ten days doesn't sound very good at all to get familiar with all the terrain this country has to offer. I've been from coast to coast to coast and everything in between. Have a decent ability to read maps and know not to count on the GPS and even have a great sense of direction. But that is all from the passenger seat of a big rig. Thanks for the info though. :)

7. gntorres61

gntorres61 Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2013
    Plymouth NC
    The first year or so you pay your dues, after that, you can write your own ticket. Starting at 30 cpm will put you around 30k for the first year. Your second and subsequent gigs will net you more.

8. GraceLives

May 8, 2015
    Tulsa, Ok

I remembered why I didn't read much of that thread when I started it. Not only is it incredibly long it seems to be team members chatting with each other. I'll stick it out though and see how far I can get in the read.

JMichael Thanks this.
  9. jaso37

jaso37 Heavy Load Member

Sep 25, 2014
    KLLM seems to have a decent lease program. Trans Am doesn't only really get paid for miles plus a huge balloon payment at the end to own truck. Good enough to get your feet wet and move on

10. jaso37

jaso37 Heavy Load Member

Sep 25, 2014
    There is a lot of #### chat on that thread but also a lot of info. Look for new people who ask questions and then you will get a lot of answers

GraceLives Thanks this.
  11. GraceLives

May 8, 2015
    Tulsa, Ok

Yea, wish hubby never would have quit working for them.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.