Transfer from TL to LTL? Anyone done it?

Discussion in 'Con-Way' started by JACC0811, Jun 22, 2010.

1. jakebrake12

jakebrake12 Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2008
    I95
    Yeah, I agree. I know for a fact that it can be done but I don't know all the particulars other than you would start at the bottom of the board either way. I agree with you that if you really wanted to do it after a year, you'd be much better off quitting and rehiring so you would start building seniority.

Largecar40 and DenaliDad Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Largecar40

Largecar40 Bobtail Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Paso Robles, CA

Thanks for the info, Black Cow, that explains a lot of things and why no one from Truckload has made the transfer. We were told in orientation that after three years of service to truckload we could transfer over to the freight side...I am starting to feel that I was feed a shovel load of bull! :biggrin_25513:

4. White Dog

White Dog Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Iowa
    Old thread, but still couldn't help myself.
    What seniority? You HAVE NO seniority. 'Truckload' is not 'Freight'. Freight is Union, Truckload is not.
    In Truckload, you have "years with the company"....with Freight, you have "seniority".
    Now; whether Conway allows you to keep your earned vacation time (which I doubt), you will NOT transfer your "hire date" from Truckload, to a "seniority date" with Freight. The Union would never hear the end of it from current Union Freight drivers.

DenaliDad Thanks this.
  5. ACH1130

ACH1130 Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Land of far far away,
    Apprentice pay for an X terminal is 13.89 a hour. After the program is done it goes to 19.35 and about 40 cpm for linehaul.

6. jakebrake12

Feb 15, 2008
    I95
    Con-way Freight isn't union. Other than that you're pretty much correct. The way I understand it is you can transfer to Freight after 2 years with T/L, don't quote me on exactly 2 years but it's something like that, and you keep your earned vacation time and there is no break in benefits like insurance and 401k.

In my opinion though, if you knew you were gonna do it after say a year, you would be further ahead to quit T/L and start with Freight right away because a year or even a couple months of seniority is worth a lot more in the long run than some vacation time or a short break in bennies.

7. ECU51

ECU51 Heavy Load Member

You are correct its 2 years now,you keep all of your seniority and accured vacay,ETC...buuuuuuuut you are a newb at the bottom of the bid sheet when you go to Freight

Ive Had 3 close frieends do that and well usually 6 months later they are back,,lifestyle change(all3 of them said) was lil to hard to get used to,Ive been contemplating it myself since the merger(I live 40 miles from Wilson NC) I stopped there one time on way home and tried to talk to them,,sort of got the cold shoulder treatment once they new I was from Truckloaad(dont know why that is)

But as of this week Im SE regional(they finally opened it up again,to senior drivers,only 5 of us) So NC,SC,TN,MS,FL,GA Lower VA and "parts of LA" are my new stomping ground,home weekly if I choose...So Im gonna try this for a while,,,

The Animosity thing is still prevalent and seems to be growing,,,I for one try to stay optomistic but it seems the following is happening to a greater extent
    1.More of Conway Freight is being put on Outside Carriers(while our miles have decreased,same can be said the a much larger degree with Menlo
    2.Seems to be we are Conway in Name only,I Dont know just seems that way
    3.Our miles are now being "Planed" on a weekly basis,I know that sounds asinine but we noticed this right after the merger,sooooo me and a few others here have regularly share notes on miles and tendencies of TL,,here as of this year we have come to a conclusion
    1.Planned miles per day 300-350
    2.2500 miles per week,10,000 per month(if you stay out 30 days)
    3.Monday Thru Friday all loads are usually 300-500 next day delivery,on friday you can assume to get a load 900 miles or more for Monday-tuesday delivery
    3.Every Border crossing (Except Laredo) it usually complete opposite

I Know this sounds "Kooky":biggrin_2554: but here we have 5 guys all of different seniority comparing detailed notes,and we have seen this trend over and over again

I dont want to sound like a Conspiracy Nut,,but the trend never changes,,no matter what your hours its the same

jakebrake12 Thanks this.
  8. jakebrake12

Feb 15, 2008
    I95

Yeah I guess I could see that - the atmosphere at Freight isn't real driver friendly and when you first start here the good money that comes with the good bids seems so far off a lot of people quit. I don't know about the animosity thing because at this point I could seriously care less..

I drove OTR for just shy of two years before I started at Freight over 8 years ago and wouldn't drive anywhere else now. It's not so much the company as it is seniority based bids and pay scale. I ate my share of crap sandwiches but I now make .555 per mile and decide whether I wanna make 50K with easy hours or 110K with a long night line-haul run and everything in between. I've had the same start time all year and will be around 60K this year working 8 or 9 hours per day while being home daily. Gonna go back to nights next year with 95K as the goal and will still be home daily.. It all is what it is man..

ECU51 Thanks this.
  9. ECU51

ECU51 Heavy Load Member

Even at 50K,you would be making more than 95% of CWTL drivers do,,all your other figures are not even plausable over here,,that too is where alot of the animosity on this side lays,,money,,,we are preverbly "handcuffed" by the system,,this year alone nothing has changed in my style of driving(weeks out and home time) but my miles are down by over 10,000(thats a whole month pay),,Dont get me wrong,,good for you,I would do the same if I was in your shoes
    Its just a shame,now that i look back it seems like every year Im here I loose more money
    2007-137,000 miles
    2008-128,000
    2009-122,000
    2010- 96,000(I was out of work nov&Dec,medical leave)
    2011-Im projecting less than 100,000(was out Jan as above)

jakebrake12 Thanks this.
  10. jakebrake12

Feb 15, 2008
    I95

Yeah, I don't know man - I guess it all it what it is. They're two separate companies really. I do side with you fully that if Freight isn't pulling Freight's freight, you should but I can tell you why you don't - it's actually cheaper to use outside carriers than CNWY companies.

I very respectfully understand you don't in my direction, but T/L drivers really shouldn't hold animosity towards us over wages since we've earned and earn every penny through years of service and what we are required to do. Nevermind when we were CCX but even as Freight, 80% of us earn every penny we make. I understand you do too, but having driven OTR I can tell you they are two entirely different worlds.

11. levi39

levi39 Light Load Member

Sep 7, 2011
    live oak,fl.
    just a thought-- if you go to LTL be aware you will be an over the road dock worker! you will be required to fingerprint alot of freight! Its hard work especially at the bottom of the totom pole. The pay is fantastic and you will be home often, however-- home time will be mostly spent resting or you will never make it. Been there done that, for 20yrs.! Its a whole different ball game.

jakebrake12 and CenutryClass Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.