Transfer from TL to LTL? Anyone done it?

Discussion in 'Con-Way' started by JACC0811, Jun 22, 2010.

1. jakebrake12

jakebrake12 Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2008
    I95
    Somewhat true - you're not an OTR dock hand here though.. In over 8 years at Freight I've spent exactly two nights away from home - one by choice and one due to getting stuck behind a massive wreck. Both times I spent the night in a Hampton Inn though - comapny paid/re-imbursed.. I suppose I've worked a lot of dock over the years, but hand freight was minimal and I was paid to the the minute so whatever..

I've been home daily since I started here but most people won't put up with the first year or two so they quit. That's fine, but during your one year don't you dare think I was given my slot - nothing worse than a new driver whining about where I go and why I'm first every night.. I was at the bottom once and now I'm up pretty far - pay your dues and you could be too..

levi39 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CenutryClass

CenutryClass Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Agreed 100% with Jake. The bottom can be pretty rough,depending on what terminal you are out of.

jakebrake12 Thanks this.
  4. jakebrake12

Feb 15, 2008
    I95
    Yes it can. I was there twice actually - once when I started and I was pretty close to the bottom again after all the layoffs before my original terminal closed during the restructuring a few years ago.

By the way, how are you making out?

5. CenutryClass

Feb 15, 2006

Up on till this week, I worked at least 4 days being on flex. We have a few guys leaving so Ill be at the top of the flex board. Worked only 2 days this week, said freight was super slow. I'm going to linehaul for a few weeks, and if i like it i can stay there. But my terminal is so small, 40 doors, and usually only have 6 solid runs per night and ill be the 7th guy

6. levi39

levi39 Light Load Member

Sep 7, 2011
    live oak,fl.
    I think you mis- understood my meaning of OTRDH. I too was home every day but also was required to do dock work, if my hrs. allowed it. After a few years, I bid a Steady run from Charleston, WV. to Cleveland Ohio. every night. My last 8,yrs. I was #1 on the board, so did nothing but drive drop trailer, drive bump dock, drop trailer and go home. But In the begining I sure did put in alot of dock time! Oh ya--- pulling scheduled frieght don't allow much stopping in route. you are required to keep the wheels turning and the left door closed! I just wanted to impress the difference between the 2 types of trucking. OK truckers, Happy trails! and good luck, what ever route ya take.:yes2557:

jakebrake12 Thanks this.
  7. jakebrake12

Feb 15, 2008
    I95
    I hear ya man.. I didn't know you had the background that you do. I'm in the 60's out of about 175-185 now at my Con-way barn. There's about 4 of us in the 50's and 60's that are in our early 30's then it drops 10 years so we always throw around that number one scenario. I'll never be number 1 at my barn but that would be pretty nice - top 10 would suit me just fine though..lol.. I did and will do my time on the slab since it pays though - the dock is a part of LTL you just have to deal with right..

8. zyk285

zyk285 Medium Load Member

Sep 14, 2010
    North Carolina
    ECU since you live in eastern NC, where did you have to go to orientation at? and what is the closest terminal to your area or which one are you out of. Conway TL seems like a good deal to me and I have not heard many complain about this company.

9. ECU51

ECU51 Heavy Load Member

Well "Back in the day"(2002) they only did orientation at Joplin,

At TL you dont run out of a set terminal,unless your a regional driver(sw,tx,) so all of our op's come out of Joplin,and that is where your Fleet MGR is at,,The Closest terminal to me is W.Memphis

Conway Truckload has followings terminals
    1.Joplin Mo
    2.Taylor Mi
    3.W.Memphis ar
    4.Lancaster TX
    5.Laredo TX

We use selective Conway Freight yards for secure drop yards.

10. CenutryClass

Feb 15, 2006
    The docks arent cold huh? You must be on crack or something. I ran to newburgh last week and i was utterly miserable...so keep trolling

11. CenutryClass

Feb 15, 2006
    could we have him banned please

ECU51 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.