Transition Out of Trucking...

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by RubberDuckie, Jan 5, 2017.

1. stungjoe

stungjoe Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2011
    Yet to be determined.
    I found a good local gig. Decent money and equipment but most of all a company that really does care about the employee that cares about doing his/her job well. The rub lies in the fact that one of the drivers also dispatches. So you can see where that may cause some problems.

If you're looking into local be prepared to work longer hours for the most part. The bonus is you get to sleep in your own bed at night and since I'm in a day cab if I'm not at home I'm in a motel. I would love to find something outside of the cab. The industry is heading toward even more regulations/scrutiny and oversight. Every city now has their own CMV patrol and they need to pay for it's existence. There's not a day that goes by that I don't see some city CMV officer making his rounds.

bentstrider83 and Dharok Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    If you are thinking about driving a desk and herding 100 drivers who might feel as badly as you do, you are a glutton for self punishment sir.

If Trucking is something you hate, then find something else to do that you actually LIKE. Have at it.

Im sorry I cannot offer much more than that. There is always something in Trucking that is always bad to some but not to others and so on.

Rubberduckin Thanks this.
  4. Dharok

Dharok Medium Load Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Freaking goons commiting legal robbery for the state... Revenue collectors.... Hate this totalitarian regime we live under. (Worldwide) for anyone who tells me to go somewhere else (which is not the answer to the issues)

5. Mackel

Mackel Bobtail Member

Feb 11, 2014
    I like your honesty and the way you express your feelings. Find your passion something you really love to do. I quit trucking for some of the same reasons. But let me tell you, sometimes I miss trucking. I find myself admiring the trucks on the highway. Sometimes I even stop at a truckstop and walk around the parking lot just to be around the big trucks. Now, do I want to drive full time as a truck driver? I don't think so. But I would like to take a load out just for fun. I would really enjoy that. Good luck to you.

6. Macneil

Macneil Heavy Load Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Sudbury, ON., Canada
    I help out a buddy of mine hauling around 63,500 kgs on my days off once in awhile so I don't miss it lol

Bret1984 Thanks this.
  7. burco01

burco01 Bobtail Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Couldn't agree with this post more. Dispatchers like to whine about how hard their job is, in comparison to ours, without a concept of an office that can crash and get large tickets from enforcement agents. For me, trucking was supposed to be a way to figure out what to do with my life, without wasting money in school, switching majors. Oddly enough, now I am pushing for a philosophy degree, after everyone has told me to become a mechanic or a welder. I am borderline autistic and hate working with my hands, after 16 years of driving a truck I want to use my head to make a living and to work indoors, maybe then I will appreciate the outdoors receeationally again.

8. bentstrider83

bentstrider83 Road Train Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    I too would like to venture out of this some day. But until that pickup truck gets paid off, that's going to be a hard one to pull off. And then of course there's getting past the negatives of other careers that seem cool at first.
    Thought about getting into Diesel repair, but then after learning about how most of the beginning of the career consists of more money being put into tools and then having to chase after work, that became a bust.
    Then there was this weird idea of hitting up some helicopter flight schools and getting all the "endorsements" needed for that line of work. Piloting a helicopter seems cool, but in order to make any decent living out of that, it's all about throwing money towards gaining some hours, then chasing after some CFI jobs to gain more hours, then moving on up to tourist flight in order to collect some more hours, until you could finally start finding easier ways to obtain turbine time and fly for some high paying gig like an air ambulance. (Thought about flying for law enforcement, but most departments also want you to go through a given academy and be a full fledged, street cop as well.)
    Seems like chasing down another dream just takes time and a whole lot of money. I also thought about going back to school for some type of degree, but the thought of years in remediation just kind of kills that bug.

So here we are.

dirtycurty26, Dharok and Chinatown Thank this.
  9. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I'd become a refrigerated trailer mechanic.

Rubberduckin and bentstrider83 Thank this.
  10. LGarrison

LGarrison Road Train Member

May 19, 2011
    Sandpoint Idaho
    I'm tired of all the people that think they can drive a truck you can't handle it leave go away don't come back have a nice day

11. bentstrider83

bentstrider83 Road Train Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    I wonder if there's some specialty school for this sort of thing. Or if it's one of those trade secrets.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.